Find
Notify
Tools

Gear list for sheep hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don B
posted

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
do you want to spend winter in camp?

much too much in my eyes - there is an old rule: what is not important to survive stays at home...

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that Don's gear choices are very appropriate for where/when/what he will be involved with. I have some different preferences, do not care for Capilene, prefering Icebreaker merino and I am not an Arcteryx fan, at all. But, he has packed what works for him and not too much of anything.

My choices and those of my buddy for our two hunts, in northern B.C. and back in the West Kootenays are quite similar to Don's, although I do not have the electronic toys and tend to carry field manuals for my "entertainment", while my buddy LOVES his gizmos and prefers Arcteryx....course they both are just young'uns...... Smiler

Best of luck to a really fine guy, let me know if you have any layover in Vancouver and, if possible, I would like to buy you a burger...if, you blueblooded southern gentlemen. health fanatic, workout freak, "docs" still eat such plebian fare..... Smiler

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I do tend to overthink things, but hey, I can carry it. I really have scoured the gear lists out there and don't think things are out of line. For instance, one guys pair of Filson Whipcords equals my Mammut champs and an ipod, etc. I like the mammuts better and translate the weight into other stuff.
Don

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If, I could find Mammut Champs and Cournoyeurs in my size, I would, without question, change to using them for most mountain hunting. I LOVE Filson's whips and have two pair and prefer them to anything for really cold weather, but, they are not the most "pack friendly" design and I have found that I cannot tighten my waistbelt as I prefer to under heavy loads while wearing them.

I find that getting my pants and boots perfectly "squared away" is the MOST difficult aspect of packing for trips like this and am still looking for the "perfect" pants for BC-Yukon-NWT mountain hunting.

I just spoke with another custom boot maker in the USA and am probably going to have him make me another pair of FGL mountain boots. I have tried many different light leather and fabric boots on mountain trips, have a "beat" pair of La Spotivas on now and none of them will perform as I want them to. We had FAR better boots in the 1960s and 1970s than are available today.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about instead of taking the capilene 4s, just taking a second pair of the smartwool ultralights, I don't think it's going to be that cold (famous last words). I bought those Cap4's in Ketchikan last year before taking off on the goat hunt and I was REALLY glad for them, but that was in October.

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Don,

This is not your first rodeo, so you bring what you know works. Good on you.

Do you have a spare battery for the Leicas? Mine went out on me day 1 of my Bighorn hunt last year. No problem, he was shot from 110 yards... but I wish I had brought a spare.

I am leaving my Oregon behind. Trust my guide to know where we are. Two water bottles may seem excessive, unless one Nalgene is stuffed with fine Havanas.

I use my fleece for a pillow, one less thing to bring.

What about some powdered mix to flavor water? Do you think you need to bring a filter?? And some Tapatio sauce to flavor the Mountain House is worth the weight.

Thanks for the list! I am going over my gear (again) today, and will look at yours to see if I forgot anything.

Good luck, I hope you kill the biggest ram on the mountain!!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You left out 1 item - the kitchen sink.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I do have that Leica spare, but it's the same one I've been hauling all over creation for about 5yrs.....maybe need a fresh one. The Oregon is on the short list of thing I'll leave behind, but it sure came in handy on the last hunt (if your guide is the "new guy"). I do have a water filter also, but know what you mean about the second Nalgene, my roll with it collapsed.

Do they make a carbon-fiber kitchen sink? chuckle!

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I am surprised to see 40 rounds of ammo.

I will be packing 6 rounds in September...that is my magic number.

Ususally carry 5 or 6 out!

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I'll definitely not leave base camp with more than a box, and that's probably a vast overkill. Let's see:
1. Get to camp and fire three rounds to check zero
(potential to need a few more if scope has been dinged)
2. Put ten round into your stock mounted elastic ammo carrier and have the hike and the falls you take bounce out all those rounds (BTDT) and ten rounds are left from the box. Now we're down to the short hairs. Scope gets dinged, miss a 400yds shot, and the ammo is critical; start to think $20K hunt blown because a few round of .30-06.............makes a man carry spare.
Around here on a backpack whitetail hunt, I only carry what's in the magazine.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
During my years working and recreating in northern Canada's wilderness, I always took 50 rounds of rifle ammo with me and still do. As a young bush worker, who would be alone for three months in very remote northern BC bush and with onlt a single supply helicopter during that time, I wanted to make certain that I had enough to re-sight my rifle if I bashed the scope.

I was a student during part of this and Talley and Leupy QD mounts were un-heard of and affording a rifle with "claw" or "EAW" mounts was beyond even a dream, so, a single Leupy on one good rifle was IT, hence, some extra ammo.

I am meticulous about preparing for wilderness hunts or any wilderness trips, due, I suppose to my training in preparing "fire packs" and putting together my Lookout supplies. I now have my gear in a single room, divided into specific camps for specific purposes and stored on labeled, ventilated, plastic shelving; this may sound a bit "anal", but, it WORKS so that I have what I need and want on any trip I take.

Getting off a horse or aircraft in "East Bumf**K", B.C. to set up camp and then discovering that your spotter head is still in your range box at home is NOT an experience that I want to repeat...and it happens!

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don B:

(potential to need a few more if scope has been dinged)

stock mounted elastic ammo carrier and have the hike and the falls you take bounce out all those rounds (BTDT)

Scope gets dinged

Aha! No scope and no stock mounted elastic ammo holder in my outfit. Saves me the extra 15 rounds!

Smiler

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lose the 10x25--
how much does your pack weigh??

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a hunt in NWT with Redstone for dall.

Qestions:
You have extra batteries for everything and on top of that you have chargers as well?

Is this a guided hunt? If so, why are you taking a Garmin? Wouldn't the guide have a sat phone as well? (there's two easy pounds)

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote