THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Best sleeping bag for backpacking

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best sleeping bag for backpacking
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BB3
posted
What is the best sleeping bag that you guys have owned for backpacking? Should I pick a backpack that is light and a little chilly or a heavy sleeping bag with a lot of warmth?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bags don't have to be heavy to be warm. I use a Mountain Hardware Phantom long 0 degree (800 fill down) bag that weighs 2 lbs 10 oz. I use it for elk hunting in CO and on late season deer hunts in OK. It also compresses nicely and packs small.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManCannon
posted Hide Post
I've got a Western Mountaineering 800 fill down Kodiak. Super light weight, SUPER warm. I've spent many nights in this bag, down into the single digits, with and without a tent. Never once got cold. A side note, a ground pad is absolutely essential with a down bag in cold weather.

"The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country." - J. Robert Oppenheimer

Posts: 385 | Location: Midwestern Corn Desert | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Second the recommendation for Western Mountineering.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doublegun:
Second the recommendation for Western Mountineering.

one more from me for a Western Mountaineering bag!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lokk in to the Big Agnes line. Great high end bags which are very light weight.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Just got the Western Mountaineering Versalite. 10 degree bag weighing in at 2 pound even. 20 unces of 850+ down.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
many, many years ago I bought Marmont Mountain down bags as back then they were supposed to be te best. I still use them and I am still completely satisfied. I do have one poly bag by Mountain Hardware I think] for wet places, and it too works great.

BB3, I recommend you getr a bag a little warmer than what you think you will need. Then if it gets colder than normal you will be OK.

Also at night when you sleep is when you "recharge" your batteries. There is nothing worse than sleeping cold, NOTHING, BELIEVE ME I KNOW, WHICH IS WHY I BOUGHT THE MARMONT BAGS AFTER A PARTICULARLY COLD, BELOW ZERO TRIP...

A good sleeping bag can save your life... Do not skimp on your sleeping bag.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
many, many years ago I bought Marmont Mountain down bags as back then they were supposed to be te best. I still use them and I am still completely satisfied. I do have one poly bag by Mountain Hardware I think] for wet places, and it too works great.

BB3, I recommend you getr a bag a little warmer than what you think you will need. Then if it gets colder than normal you will be OK.

Also at night when you sleep is when you "recharge" your batteries. There is nothing worse than sleeping cold, NOTHING, BELIEVE ME I KNOW, WHICH IS WHY I BOUGHT THE MARMONT BAGS AFTER A PARTICULARLY COLD, BELOW ZERO TRIP...

A good sleeping bag can save your life... Do not skimp on your sleeping bag.

I agree. get a good sleeping bag.. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned, it's Integral Designs. Out of Calgary, Alberta. All of their stuff is top 'o the line. I understand they've re-directed their business towards the Canadian military (not sure tho) but I think you can still get a sleeping bag from them. I do know that you can get their insulated jacket & pants from Barney's in Anchorage.
I have one of their bags but don't recall what it's rated to but I think it's about +10 or so. It's more than enough for the Brooks Range in Aug. and our moose camp for Sep.
Ya can't go wrong with I.D. gear.
As a side note, if you think you'll need more warmth, get a piece of polar fleece to put over yourself inside the sleeping bag. That's what I did & found I didn't need it for the trips I go on. Polar fleece is very light weight & isn't bulky when folded/rolled up. Carry it in your sleeping bag stuff bag.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't own one " Yet " !! But Wiggy's seems to be highly regarded tu2

http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=6

PAPI
fishing

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Wiggys Ultima thule and even though it's heavier than the other's quoted here, the thing keeps me warm and I'll pack the extra weight to sleep well and if I want to go lighter then I don't take the overbag....

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a wiggy and theres no comparing it to my Western Mountaineering Versaliteno the wiggy is heavy, zippers snag and the material is not in the same class. But the wiggy is great for car camping or short backpacking/hunting trips.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
They aren't fancy but I've used LL BEan down bags for 20 or more years... I've slept on snow with a 20 degree bag on a standard thickness thermarest wearing light flannel pants and a t shirt and been toasty. For me, the 20 degree bag is good to 0 degrees as I;m a hot sleeper.

I use the same bag even in warmer weather...the trick is to just take along a twin sheet and throw it over your thermarest and unzip your bag and use it as a comforter. Also, don't forget a beanie cap for cold nights...you lose lots of heat through your noggin.

Good luck!

posted Hide Post
I've been using a Montbel spiral stretch bag and it's been great. All down so nice and light and warm and the stretch feature makes it much less restrictive than a normal mummy bag. I'd second the statement to get a little warmer bag than you expect to need, it's my belief that the temp ratings are set that you can go as cold as the rating and probably not die but you won't be comfortable.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Been using different Western Mountaineering bags for twenty years. It really doesn't get any better.

I just switched from the Versalite to an Alpinlite for a bit more elbow room, but my wife uses a Versalite and loves it.

For general-purpose, three-season use, either those two work great.

My only advice when buying a bag is don't buy one that's too warm... it's a neub mistake that happens year in, year out. It's a simple matter to throw on extra layers if needed, but sweating in an overly warm bag is no fun.

20*F is pretty well the standard for three season ratings for a reason...

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Good thinking, Brad,
I took a Montbell #1 to NZ for tahr hunting but, thinking it may not be warm enough, added an ultralite summer down bag to put over it.

As it happened we camped in warm huts instead of tents and I could hardly stand the summer bag, let alone the bigger one.

Posts: 4972 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems there is much discussion of down bags .
Aren't they a problem if they get wet? Isn't synthetic better ?

Posts: 11983 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Water/rain.............

I did a lot of research on a bunch of the backpack/hiking forums before I bought a bag. Downright ugly when it comes to down v. synthetic proponents. How much rain you encounter is a significant issue and ultimately your deciding factor. Synthetic > down when used in a wet environment as down retains the moisture/won't dry out quickly.

Ultimately I went for the Kifaru as I also bought a pack from them. I couldn't have been more happy with my choice. The pack was roomy and the bag warm.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As indicated earlier, I have a Mountain Hardware Phantom 0 degree down bag. I'm sure there are other brands that perform equally as well. I also have a 0 degree synthetic bag and I won't mention the brand because it let me down on two different hunts in only moderately cold, 15 to 20 degrees weather. Just my opinion but if you buy a down bag, also spring for a lightweight waterproof bivy sack. Not only will it keep your bag dry (even in a tent when condensation can be a problem) but it will also add to the warmth.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:

I did a lot of research on a bunch of the backpack/hiking forums before I bought a bag. Downright ugly when it comes to down v. synthetic proponents. ...

Push feed vs CRF arguments seem tame in comparison.
jumping

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's cold Wiggy's.. If it's Mild to Cool Marmot Hydrogen..

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote