THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Replacement for Vasque Sundowner

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement for Vasque Sundowner
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted
Hello,

Back in 1997 I purchased a pair of Vasque Sundowner hiking boots. They have lasted all this time with one resoling. They are nearing the end of life with the outer leather and liner now seriously worn.

About 2 years ago I tried on a new pair of the same boot and was EXTREMELY disappointed with the fit and feel of the shoe. I opened the shoe to find that it is now made in China. Not good for me.

I really like this boot and would like to find a replacement for it that is still made with the detail of my 1997 pair. Can you guys suggest a comparable boot to the Sundowner? I like that style but am willing to compromise a bit there if I can find the fit and finish of the old Vasque. The same style would be nice though.

Thanks,
lc

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try a look on Ebay.

My wife was able a few years ago to find her a couple of pair of the original Sundowners made in Italy.

Not only do I hunt in them quite a bit, but when I leave the house, they are most always my every day foot wear.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion would be to go to as many good backpacking stores, including REI, and just try on some of the different brand of high quality boots in the same weight class as the Vasque's.

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Ebay suggestion. It hadn't crossed my mind. Looks like there are some good examples there if the right size will pop up.
That was a find boot that they ruined. It's a shame.

I'll need to dig around and find a store that sells hiking boots. Dunhams is about the best choice that is relatively close. I'd really like to find a boot in that traditional style if possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't find what you are looking for, you may want to take a look at Alico. I've not personally tried them, but a good friend who is avid backpacker uses Alico Summit Backpacking Hiking Boots and speaks highly of them. Sierra Trading Post carries this brand and I believe they are also made in Italy.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been very happy with the Asolo 520 or the 535. One has gortex the other doesn't. Similar in looks the sundowner.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I replaced my Italian made Sundowners with Italian made Kenetreks. The fit was very similar. My feet don't like German lasts, but any Italian boot seems to fit perfectly.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
littlecanoe, after I made my post here just for fun I checked EBay for a pair of Vasques in my size...

I am happy to report, with the wifes help,[she has experience on EBay], that "we" won an auction on EBay for a pair of Vasque, made in Italy, Sundowners, that look as new in my size... dancing

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Danner has a whole line made in the USA and you can search their site by this criterion specifically. Most Danner boots are also made to be re-buildable unlike the Sundowner design.

JMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several pairs of Danner boots. I used them as work boots everyday for over 20 years. Good boots for sure.

However there is just something about the original Vasque Sundowners that were made in Ialy.

posted Hide Post
I replaced my sundowners with a pair of Zamberlan Boots - made in Italy and look very much like the old sundowners.

Posts: 19 | Location: Montana | Registered: 03 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I replaced my Vasque Sundowners with the Lowa Renegade.
Very happy.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote