New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see Schnee’s getting rave reviews for their pacs. I’m seriously thinking about getting a pair. Has anyone compared them to something like these Sorels? The Sorels would save me $80 or so. False economy?

Also, when buying pac boots do you order your normal hiking boot size, or a size bigger?

Lastly, does anyone have a recommendation on good QUIET, waterproof gaitors?

Thanks,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Sorels are a joke if we are talking about backpacking in the Rocky Mountains. Support will be poor and traction on steep verticals will be iffy.

For carrying a heavy pack in steep, rocky terrain, I do best with a boot like this:

However, be sure to put at least 150 miles with a pack on the boots before taking them hunting. And take gaiters in case it snows.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are those boots? I can't see the brand on them.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my 16" Schnees five years ago. Last year I spent 2 1/2 months out at camp wearing them every day. When I got them I also ordered an extra pair of liners and some Montana Pitch Blend waterproofing/treatment. The bill was about $250. They're the best pac I've owned. I ordered over the phone and was told by them to get one size larger than my normal boot size.
My mountain hiking boots are simliar to the pic above.

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote