Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of hunting Backpack?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted
Hi, Me and my hunting buddy are on the lookout for a hunting backpack. We hunt reindeer in Iceland in the mountains. For the last years we have taken buck, up to 3 bucks last year. The walk in and stalk is about 5-15 km and the elevation gain is about 800m (not including up and down along the route). On our first hunt we carried 40 kilos down and out for 8 km. The next one was a 35 kilos for 5 km and we went
back the next day get the rest and that was 25 kilos for 5 km. Last year was the hardest, bad weather and we carried 25 kilos for 8 km in darknes down a rocky creek and hillsides, the went back the next day up another route up 700 m scree and down with 25 kilos about 4 km, that year we had a lot of helping hands. We have been using 70-100 l backpacks (Karrimoor, british brand) and the carring system is good but the the meat slips down to the sleeping bag compartment and there is no riffle
hanger on it.
So we want a backpack to carry up to 40 kilos and keep the weight up high and near the back. Also it must have a riffle carring option and a hydration bag with a tupe to drink from.
Hope you can help me.

]pictures fall 2005

Bad weather

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Hook:
Bergans makes a line of hunting packs as well as general backpacking packs. They make both internsals and external frame packs and have been making quality equipment for a very long time. They are out of Norway.

Kifaru is making what is arguably the best hunting packs made in the USA. You can see their products at:

www.kifaru.net

I have a LongHunter Guide pack and a Siwash. Useful items to be included in the Kifaru system is the CargoChair, used for hauling out meat and glassing, the HandWarmer Pouch, great for carrying your binoculars right where you need them with no tension on your neck, and the GunBearer, a rifle carrying device so you can get your rifle into use in a fraction of a second but carries your gun safely and securely in great comfort with no weight on your shoulders, as is true of all of Kifaru's internal frame packs.

These packs are expensive and top grade mountaineering quality equipment. They come with detachable camo/blaze orange reversable fleece pannels amd many options a hunter will find useful. Each pack is made to the customer's measurements, so there is no question of fit. They are the most comfortable packs I have ever used and I have been backpacking for about 50 years now. Delivery time in the US requires about a 6 week wait. Good luck in your hunting pack search, Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
Eberlestok Just One is also a great pack at less money than Kifaru. Good luck!
http://www.eberlestock.com/

Good Shoot'n!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Sherpi,

Not sure if you saw it already, but there is lots of great info in this thread.

Great pictures, by the way. That is nice looking country. For some reason, I never realized you had reindeer in Iceland!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at a Bull Pac? Pretty darn solid, works great packing meat as well as packing in if you get the Lochsa addition.

MG

One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
Hi thanks for the help I will look closely at those packs

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote