Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep tent
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted
I'm looking for a good sheep tent for our dall sheep hunt this coming fall. Here is what I am looking for in specifics:
2 doors, full length fly, aluminum poles and must weigh no more than 7 lbs. I've looked at the Black Diamond Mesa 3, REI Mountain 2, big Agnes Parkview 2, Mtn Harware Hammerhead 2, MSR Fusion 2, NF Heron 23 and Spectrum 33. I also would like to keep the price under $400. I would prefer a double walled tent but might could be talked into a single if it's the right tent. Any recommendations?

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try the link below and the "links" on this web site. It ia all super light camping stuff, inmy mind too light. They do not give any of this stuff away. For super light hunting, I an starting to think that a bivy bag and a light tarp/fly might be the way to go.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
I'm looking for a good sheep tent for our dall sheep hunt this coming fall. Here is what I am looking for in specifics:
2 doors, full length fly, aluminum poles and must weigh no more than 7 lbs. I've looked at the Black Diamond Mesa 3, REI Mountain 2, big Agnes Parkview 2, Mtn Harware Hammerhead 2, MSR Fusion 2, NF Heron 23 and Spectrum 33. I also would like to keep the price under $400. I would prefer a double walled tent but might could be talked into a single if it's the right tent. Any recommendations?
Check Cabela's Bargain Cave for tents & supplies. http://www.thenorthface.com http://www.llbean.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
have a look at MSR huubahubba 2 man,muthahubba 3 man.both very roomy and don't have condensation problems like any single wall tent.two doors and very light weight but stable.have used both and they are tough as nails.

Posts: 25 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 14 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my $0.02 worth of opinion. Three of us used a MSR Muthahubba 3 last year chasing wapiti in Fiordland, in New Zealand. While it was an exceptional dry 8 days, by Fiordland standards, and the tent wasn't tested in any major down pour, I'd recommend it for anyone packing into rough and remote areas. Its lightweight, high quality and easy to set up/take down.

Posts: 162 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
A good deal of my hunting season is spent in backpacking (sheep) tents and I've yet to find the ideal 1 yet. The North Face is rugged but they lose there waterproof capabilities after a season or 2, bivy and tarp is lite but if you have wet weather or fog you suffer, Stephenson tents are super lite and the wettest of the bunch. I'm using a Bibler bombshelter now but as stated earlier the poles condensate althuogh the tent itself is very dry. A freind of mine has been using MSR tents for years and swears by them so when the black bears do in my present tent a Msr will get the nod.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm looking at the Big Agnes Parkview 3, anyone have any experience with this tent?

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Big Agnes SL-2, it is a great tent,

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M70Nut:
I've used the MSR Fusion-3 since 2002 from the Brooks Range for sheep & caribou to the Kenai Peninsula in July for week long fishing trips. I don't think the Fusion 3 is being made any more but I could be wrong. It's a 3 man tent that I got for our 2002 sheep hunt into the Brooks. Since my partner & I are rather on the large side, I decided to get the 3-man version. This tent has stood up the worst of it and still keeps on "ticking". Doesn't leak nor does it allow condensation to build up - assuming you open the vents enough.
The rain fly is long enough to stretch out over the front, thus giving a covered area outside the tent to put boots or other gear. Not a lot of room there but enough for boots, etc. Of course, I always put a nylon tarp under the tent when it's set up. The only "maintenance " I've had to do to it was to replace the shock cord that runs thru the poles. There's no problem doing this & it's easy. I got the shock cord here in Fbks. The only other "drawback" from the info you provided is the weight on this model - it's around 8 lbs.
When I bought mine, I was looking for a 2 man tent at around 5-6 lbs. The MSR - 2 man was in that neighborhood. Upon considering the size of my partner & me, I decided that the extra room in the 3-man was worth the extra weight. I was right, at least from my point of view.
Sorry for the long diatribe but wanted you to know what I found. In short, you're not gonna be disapointed in any way with the MSR. Get one, you'll like it. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info BiF, I checked the MSR website and found that they do have the Fusion 2 but now have one called the Superfusion 3, problem is the tent weighs over 10 lbs, just a little to heavy for backpack sheep hunting. I did find a tent that I will probably buy, it's the Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2 and weighs in at 6.5 lbs. I already have a good 3 man tent for moose and caribou hunting and used it on my float hunt last year, the Eureka K2Xt and that tent rocks.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

One of Us
Picture of GLRodgers
posted Hide Post
If you want inexpensive, compact, light, and dry look at this link http://www.ccoutdoorstore.com/sierra-designs-clip-flashlight.html
I've used it on many sheep and bear hunts in Alaska. It stood up to 60-70 mph winds and several sideways downpours on Kodiak Island. I never got wet.

GLRodgers

Posts: 45 | Location: Eagle River Alaska | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a good look at the Mountain Hard Wear SKYLEDGE 2 tent.

Minimum Weight:.....4 lbs. 2 oz.

Packed Weight:......4 lbs. 8 0z.

Pitch-Light Weight:.1 lb.. 6 oz.

Packed Size: 5.5 x 5.5 x 18 In.

Poles: 2 + 1 Strut, giving nearly vertical side walls, Atlas Scandium SL aluminum.

Canopy: No-see-um netting.

Doors: 2 side-zip doors, mesh.

Vestibules: 2 dry-entry, 57 x 57 L x 36 D.

Footprint: Required for pitch-light mode, available as an option at extra cost.

Price: Skyledge 2 Tent: $295.00.
.....Footprint Optional : ..30.00.

That's the suggested price, these tents are available for less than the advertised price and or sometimes with the footprint is thrown in at the listed price for free from some suppliers. The "2" in the name means that this is a 2-person tent but would really be better for one in my view. The separation between the fly and canopy and breathing ability on this tent are outstanding...Rusty.

Specifications:

Full Coverage Fly: Superlight 30D silicone nylon with 2000mm polyurethane coating.

Floor: 70D Nylon with 2000mm polyether urethane coating.

Reinforcement: VX-02, high-strength, non-stretch laminate.

Exterior height: 47"

Interior height: 45"

Length.........: 88"

Width @ Hd.....: 46"

Width @ Ft.....: 40"

The tent comes with aluminum tent pegs that are included in the Packed Weight and it can be pitched with the fly on it and guide-lined out with as few as 8 tent stakes, although it comes with more than that number of the T 6 aluminum, 6", Y-pegs...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Bibler Fitzroy or BD Ultralights...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning towards the Hilleberg Stalin Combi 2.....

"We band of 45-70'ers"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Hilleburg Kaitum and would use nothing else. Light weight with double vestibules and it is extremely well made. Pricey at around $600 but you don't want to skimp on your tent as it could well be your life saver. Hilleburg also makes some other exceptional tents. They are very knowledgable if you call them and tell them what you want to with your tent and how much you want to spend.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kifaru - for living outdoors.

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

Thanks, Mark G
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Agnes SL2, very good tent, have used it for 2 seasons,

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote