THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Favorite "retort pouch" entrée?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite "retort pouch" entrée?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was surprised to discover how many different types of (retort pouch) vacuum sealed meats and other products are available.

I was familiar with the Star Kist tuna variants. But wanted something different.

I did a google search and .....voilà!

I was wondering if any of you had a "retort pouch" food favorite?

They even have SPAM singles in a pouch! (If you like SPAM) Wink

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(If you like SPAM)

IF! Who doesn't like spam? That would be Un-American salute

Thanks, Mark G
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G:
quote:
(If you like SPAM)

I like SPAM too! In fact I bought several of the SPAM Single Classics to try out at home.

WARNING..... If you like SPAM, do NOT read the 'Nutrition Facts' on the back of the package! Wink

My "retort pouch" favorite (so far) is the Chicken of the Sea Mandarin Orange Salmon Steak with Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild 'ready rice'. Better heated ..... but not a must.

I also really like the small 4.1 oz packages of Idahoan Baby Reds instant mashed potatoes and Rip-N-Ready Beef Tips in Gravy. Boiling water needed for the potatoes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the other thread, Starkist probably has the smallest line of pouch fish, look at Chicken of the Sea and BumbleBee.

BumbleBee has Chicken breast.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Read the other thread, Starkist probably has the smallest line of pouch fish, look at Chicken of the Sea and BumbleBee.

BumbleBee has Chicken breast.

AD

I tried the Bumble Bee Chicken Breast with Garlic & Herb the other day. It's pretty good.

Bumble Bee also makes the Southwest & Bar-B-Q chicken breast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had both the Southwest and Barbeque, but haven't caught up to the Chicken & Herb yet.

BTW, I just tried the ChickenofTheSea Salmon in Roasted garlic and while it also seems to be "fused together" it's really good, but unlike the barbeque my cat "insisted"
on my sharing some of it with him...

I do intend to try them all, but so far the BumbleBee
has a better texture and flavor than the others.

I also found the StarKist Teriyaki Yellowfin (light) tuna filets
at a retailer I don't normally shop at and one pack followed me home, it'll be part of lunch tommorow over a packet of Rice-A-Roni "asian fried" flavored heat & eat rice.
BTW, the StarKist Yellowfin seems to be the only pouch fish that isn't from Thailand, it's from Equador.

AllanD

Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, I just tried the ChickenofTheSea Salmon in Roasted garlic and while it also seems to be "fused together" it's really good, but unlike the barbeque my cat "insisted"
on my sharing some of it with him..

Alan, I tried Chicken of the Sea honey barbecue salmon! Pretty darn good! thumb

PS - I forgot to mention that the Rip & Ready 12 oz. items come "trays". These are NOT as 'packer friendly' as the retort pouches. The trays are more subject to rupture with rough treatment. I remove them from the box and seal the pouch in a Tilia Foodsaver pouch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of more retort entree suggestions.

On a recent outing, I tried this Ensavor orange chicken on a bed of Thai Jasmin rice. thumb

I also am going to try out Comida Loca's "Heat'Em Ups Green Chile Chicken Soup"

Any other "wild" ideas on retort entrees?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FORGET Comida Loca's "Heat'Em Ups Green Chile Chicken Soup"!

Not worth it! thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I would NEVER recommend another tuna variant...... but the Bumblebee Easy Peel Spicy Thai Seasoned Medley is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
I thought I would NEVER recommend another tuna variant...... but the Bumblebee Easy Peel Spicy Thai Seasoned Medley is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! thumb

IMO there's only one thing wrong with it.

They need to sell it in a can about three times the size.

AD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:

IMO there's only one thing wrong with it.

They need to sell it in a can about three times the size.

AD

I agree, AD! And the "peel open" containers seem a bit fragile. But I'm thinking if I don't fall ass-over-teacups and land directly on them........ they'll be ok.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G:
quote:
(If you like SPAM)

Most WWII combat soldiers hated Spam and refused to allow it in the house. I knew one that got so tired of it he went fishing in the surf with grenades. Him and his buddies got busted for it but thought the fish was worth it.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote