Find
Notify
Tools

Gorp, Glop & Glue Stew
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted
Well the title is pretty bad but the book is great! I've had my copy for about over 15 years. It has the recipe for the original Logan Bread as well as several variations. Each recipe included is from one of about 100 contributors. Contributors include mountaineers, rafters, etc.

Sections include- breads for the pack, bars,cookies and cakes to carry, fruit and candy confections, granolas & gorps, jerky, pemmican, & toast, one pot glops, hooshes, stews & soups, frying pan foods, one burner baking, beverages, salads, and snacks, perishable main dishes,wild plants, varmints, fish and game, ethnic adaptations, easier eating, simplification deluxe and just not cooking.

My copy was published by The Mountaineers in Seattle. Found it still on Amazon though used for as little as $3.79. It is just a great book. The bread recipes make a brick like loaf that gives you a ton of energy and won't fall apart in the pack or go bad for a long time.

Anyhow, I have no interest in the book myself. Just wanted to pass it along as it seems to be somewhat a forgotten gem that has been an excellent resource for me.

Anybody have any favorite recipe books for the outdoors? Always looking for good ones.

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup!! I do. We make our own energy bars and the recipe is as follows:
Equal amounts by volume of:

Peanut butter, honey, Rice Krispies, un cooked rolled oats, raisins (we prefer craisins - your choice), dry milk.
I mix all of the dry ingredients first then the peanut butter and the honey that's been warmed up slightly to allow it to pour easier. I mix everything with an electric mixer.
Measure out the amount you want for each energy bar, and roll in more dry milk. Wrap in saran wrap & refrigerate.
One comment - these are quite rich so you probably don't want large bars. I use about 1/3 cup or so for each bar.
We take 'em on our sheep hunts & they make a good after dinner treat at night. Experiment with the ingredients.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Technically there is no such thing as "uncooked rolled oats"
because the oats are rolled through rollers that are heated by live steam

there are oats called "quick oats that are run through rolers that are more closely spaced so the oats wind up thinner
(and "cook" more quickly when wetted)

Frankly I prefer the thicker "old fashioned" oats, but even better is "toasting" the oats in an iron skillet
this changes the flavor... for the better IMO

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm discovering "rolled oats" -- as Quaker Oatmeal.

It's pretty much "pre-cooked." You can add rolled oats to granola w/o any preparation. It's pretty chewy. Also it gets tossed into "smoothies" -- I do skim milk, banana, blueberries, stawberries and CytoSport whey protein, some rolled oats.

For a while I was measuring and mixing. Now for "oatmeal" I just cover the oats w/ water and heat to a boil. Couple minutes and let stand. I add frozen blueberries and strawberries while it's boiling.

Then I mix whey protein w/ skim milk, take the pan off the burner and add this -- to warm it up.

Rolled oats are pretty much "pre cooked."