Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45-70 in BFR
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone here have any experience or opinions with this??

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have shot a member's .45/70 BFR (bfrshooter's), and I was impressed with it's accuracy and rather mild recoil (I know it varies with the load, but his loads were not particularly mild). I shot targets out to 50 yards and it was relatively flat shooting and not at all unpleasant. Overall I like the fit, finish and performance of BFR's revolvers and would recommend them.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Whitworth

Looking into possibly buying one in the near future, also wanted to know specific loads (handloaded).

It will be replacing a 44 mag that I carry when bow hunting in Alaska.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter is on here frequently and can talk to you about specific loads. I really like the way it shot. So, it will be a back-up gun? BFRs are nice and they are priced reasonably IMHO. You might want to consider a BFR in .475 Linebaugh as well as it is easier to pack than that monster!

Semper Fidelis

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I just realized that I wrote 50 yards, but I meant 100 yards........

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
No problem, knew of it's range capabilities and over looked it as a typo... Reading up on bfrshooter past posts and sent him a PM. Pretty impressive to say the least.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Send Carwashman a PM, he has one

Here are some vids of me and Carwashman shooting our big bore pistols

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2199039949267290319

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4956842803549071975

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buglemintoday and I'll send Carwashman a PM as well.

That was some pretty good footage- makes me want to go to the range tonight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one with both .45-70 and Marlin wheels. Quite pleasant to shoot. Nice fit and finish. It's worth spending the extra bill to have the .450 Marlin wheel too.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have a BFR in 45-70. It is a great shooting gun. I have a 10 inch barrel and the gun is a pleasure to shoot and recoil is not bad at all. I installed a Ultra-dot Match-dot on the BFR and I am shooting 405 gr. Bullets. I am getting 1 inch groups at 50 yards and 2 to 2 ½ inch groups at 100 yards. Not bad for a red-dot. The fit and finish are great. I also have a BFR in 500 mag. I love the BFR’s

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk1:
I have a BFR in 45-70. It is a great shooting gun. I have a 10 inch barrel and the gun is a pleasure to shoot and recoil is not bad at all. I installed a Ultra-dot Match-dot on the BFR and I am shooting 405 gr. Bullets. I am getting 1 inch groups at 50 yards and 2 to 2 ½ inch groups at 100 yards. Not bad for a red-dot. The fit and finish are great. I also have a BFR in 500 mag. I love the BFR’s

Trust me, the $125 for also having the .450 Marlin wheel is also well worth it. I made mine 14.5" when it gained the Marlin wheel and it's as pleasant as the .45-70 in 10" to shoot. Like shooting a .38 with the .45-70 wheel in it. One of dad's non-shooter friends was over on Saturday and was shocked at how it almost didn't recoil at all shooting 405 grainers at about 1300 at the muzzle.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever shot Garrett Ammo through your bfr's?

I'm pretty much decided after some research that this 45/70 is my next purchase- but why get the 450 Marlin wheel??

I appreciate everyone's input and thanks...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Istaga:
Has anyone ever shot Garrett Ammo through your bfr's?

I'm pretty much decided after some research that this 45/70 is my next purchase- but why get the 450 Marlin wheel??

I appreciate everyone's input and thanks...

Garret's BFR approved loads work fine but I mostly load my own. If you're spending 800 and change on a gun what's an extra one and a quarter bills to make it more versatile? They won't sell the wheel without fitting it for you and timing it so it's easiest to just go ahead and get both at the same time. Marlin brass is a bit sturdier, otherwise they are about equal, just lets you load hotter. In a Ruger No. 1 you can get away with loading them to equal pressures. In a BFR you can load the Marlin hotter. Case ruptures in revolvers are no fun.

My 2 pence.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 10" 45-70 BFR and love it. The versatility is the best part of this caliber. I have played with 300-440gr bullets. I haven't chronographed any of the loads yet, but they range from 300gr HP plinking loads to the 440gr CP LFNGC over 45.0gr of IMR 4198.

I kept iron sights on mine but replaced the factory sights with the Millet white outline rear and a Hi-Viz front sight. It's more accurate as I am with iron sights. I've only shot real groups out to 50yds with it. Those are about 2", but this was before I got my new glasses. I imagine that those groups would be better now. The 300gr load makes easy hits on a 12" gong at 100yds.

As far as getting the extra wheel in 450 Marlin, I'd probably get it. I have a Marlin GG in 450 and it'd sure be nice to have a matched pair. But, reloading data is much easier to find for the 45-70 if you want to use bullets other than the old lever gun standards.

I know you'll love the gun. I'm trying to rationalize a BFR in 475 now. I jsut have to figure out what I would use it for.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for sharing their input and I will be getting one next week, with the 450 wheel.

So what type of powder and handloading equipment should I get?? What will one need to handload? What's the best??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy one of the reloading kits from any of the big companies. I bought a Lee Aniversary Kit when I turned 18. Money was super tight, and it only cost $90 for the whole kit. Add another $25 for dies and I was good to go. It isn't fancy, but I've had it for better than 8 years now and loaded more than 3000 rounds on it. If you plan on doing a lot of high volume loading, get a progresive press. It will it will save you enough time to make it worth the extra money.

Any brand of dies will work. I've tried a few different brands, and don't really have a favorite. For loading the 45-70, you will want to get the Lee Factory Crimp die. I use it on both 45-70 and 450 Marlin loads. I've had pretty much every bullet I've tried get pulled under recoil. Even with a heavy roll crimp. The die only costs around $10, and it's worth every penny.

Do you know anyone who already reloads? The best way to learn is to have someone who can show you the basics. I didn't have that, so I just read everything I could get my hands on. Hit the libraries, book stores, gunshops and magazines. Absorb as much info as you can, buy a couple of reloading manuals, and have at it.

For powders like to use ones that will work in a number of other calibers that I shoot. This limits the stock I have to keep on hand. Here are some of the powders I've had good luck with:
IMR 4198
Varget
H322
IMR 4064
Re 7
Accurate 2230
Trail Boss

These have all work pretty well for me. Some work better for heavy loads, some for lighter loads, and some work for everything. The performance you want will help you pick a powder and bullet. Trying all the different combinations is part of fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like RL-7, H322, and H4198. I've been known when it's approaching serious gun cleaning time to run some black powder loads through it for nostalgia purposes but only do this when you really intend to do a serious cleaning immediately after, hot soapy ammonia water and all. American Pioneer Powder black powder substitute works great and leaves almost nothing behind if you want a big flash and cloud of smoke without having to do hardcore cleaning afterwards. Start low and work up like all handloading. Have fun.

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I have a 10 inch BFR in 45-70 and it is a tack driver, I am using 405 gr. hard cast bullets. The recoil is a lot less than my 500 Mag in a BFR. The accuracy is very good in the 45-70 and is actually a pleasure to shoot. I am very happy with the gun, the fit and finish are very good also.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Speaking of BFR .45/70s........

I was out deer hunting with bfrshooter this morning and while I didn't so much as see one fleeing the scene (I had intended on taking one with my .475 Linebaugh), bfrshooter took a nice buck from his tree stand with his BFR in 45/70. The shot was offhand, and about 50 yards out through and absolute tangle of brush with a very small window. He hit it in the shoulder, and it piled up in about 30 yards. ONE HELL-OF-A-SHOT!! Here 'tis......

Maybe he can share some load details.......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

You're making me hungry, had another morning out with the bow on the back acres and all I saw were babies.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Shot one last Saturday and I have a freezer full of venison! thumb

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm looking into culling a red deer cow for a fellow down the road but I'd have to pay for it.

Got 2.55 acres but owner's association rules say I can't discharge firearms on my property so having to try with a bow makes it a lot tougher. Almost hit one on the way to the mail box with the K series but I can't seem to get close to a good one with an arrow lately.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What Whitworth didn't tell you is my old longjohns had slipped down to my knees and all we did was laugh as I tried to walk. Things must be as old as I am, time to retire them.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Next he's going to tell you that his eyes aren't very good...... Big Grin Still trying to figure out how he made that shot! jumping

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Factory 300gn loads give about the same performance as a 44 mag and the recoil is very mild. I have a 45-70 with the 10" barrel and it weighs almost 5 pounds. The same barrel length on a S&W 500 is about the same weight though.
A BFR in 475 would be lighter and easier to pack.
As far as handloads go, the BFRs are very strong. I had some 405gn hard cast going up to 1750fps! It was not fun to shoot but was still controllable and produced a 1.5" group at 50 yds. BFR Shooter has the goods on bullets and powders to start with.
If you are going to get a BFR for packing around as a backup, I'd suggest the 475 Linebaugh. It won't do you any good if you get tired of lugging it around and it stays back at camp.

Another option for bigbore backup is the 4" S&W 500. It's really not bad to shoot with fullhouse factory loads.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a crippled old blind man with ill fitting clothing that hobbled you and the handicap of using a handgun instead of a rifle I reckon you had a pretty good day. Bonus points for offhand.

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
CONGRATS!! bfrshooter.. Makes me want to get rid of my SS Guide Gun in 45/70 and get the BFR in it's place.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom`:
quote:

I'm looking into culling a red deer cow for a fellow down the road but I'd have to pay for it.

you wont regret it! The Red deer I took in October is delicious!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Istaga:
CONGRATS!! bfrshooter.. Makes me want to get rid of my SS Guide Gun in 45/70 and get the BFR in it's place.

Keep the Guide gun and get the BFR, nothing like having 2 guns with the same load.

I have a Marlin SS Guide Gun in 45/70 and the BFR in 45-70. Love them both

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member Reeders Misfits
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

posted Hide Post
Redhawk1 you are absolutely right.. gave it some thought after I had posted that and it will stay with the rest of the collection of guns that I have. Besides.. it would be a good scabbard gun for my horse rides into the bush...

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that you may need a scabbard for the BFR as well -- it's a whole lotta' handgun! bfrshooter carries his on a sling!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got that right! I am searching for a shoulder rig for the big one. The .475 is OK but that big one is like a one hand rifle. But it is more accurate then almost every 45-70 rifle!
I haven't taken Whitworth to 200 yd's yet, but he will tell you what both guns do at 100 yd's. The only limit is sight picture and rest, even I don't know what they can REALLY do. Who ever does with revolvers? I don't even think a Ransom rest will tell the truth.
I am hoping to get his SRH shooting better then the factory loads he has to use. I think I need him to leave it here after deer season so I can work on it. I have to figure out how to tell him the best loads might be a tiny bit slower then max. Have to convince him that velocity doesn't kill but accuracy does. I think he has seen that though. I think he is still a little baffled about what they do, smart enough to learn and he is also one great friend. I love his guns, they are BEAUTIFUL.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Why thank you, bfr! I am well aware of the fact that velocity doesn't kill, but had I wanted a .480, I wouldn't have spent the money to make it a .475 Linebaugh....... Big Grin

May take you up on leaving it with you......as soon as I get the Ultradot for it!

That .45/70 is one accurate SOB!!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .480 is accurate as a .480 and the .475 is accurate as a .475. Two different animals. Don't worry, the right loads will be strong! No whimp loads allowed.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
The .480 is accurate as a .480 and the .475 is accurate as a .475. Two different animals. Don't worry, the right loads will be strong! No whimp loads allowed.

Amen brother! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep in mind that you may need a scabbard for the BFR as well -- it's a whole lotta' handgun! bfrshooter carries his on a sling!

I had a leatherworker friend make this for mine. Precludes a scope, though. She calls it my "leg scabbard".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice! I just need a nylon one. I used to work leather and was able to get it cheap. No longer, it is like gold now if you can even find any.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
Nice! I just need a nylon one. I used to work leather and was able to get it cheap. No longer, it is like gold now if you can even find any.

The one thing is that the muzzle goes past my knee so I need to add a snap release to the leg strap, leg strap is good for general walking around so the gun doesn't flop around all over, but for when you want to drop down on that knee it's a very ugly landing in what you hoped to be a shooting position. It was either that or have me damn near ending up with my hand in my armpit drawing, hence the 3" drop from the belt. These things usually take a bit of tinkering before you get what feels good. I wish I had thought of the strap snap but this is how one learns. You're right that somebody should make one in nylon.

If you want one in leather, Bev charged me about 80-100 bucks to make that for me. She has low overhead and is semi-retired so she works slowly but cheaply. She used to be the office manager at Chapman Practical Pistol Academy. Hell of a quick draw artist herself so she knows how to build holsters for actual use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a neat setup. Right now I'm carrying mine in an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster made for a 9.5" single action. The fit's not perfect, but it works.

Do you think you could have her make one for me? Let me know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collegekidandy:
That's a neat setup. Right now I'm carrying mine in an Uncle Mikes shoulder holster made for a 9.5" single action. The fit's not perfect, but it works.

Do you think you could have her make one for me? Let me know.

I sent you a holster related PM with contact info.