New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot a 480 today
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
A buddy picked up a 480 SRH last week, and was telling me how well it was shooting. I got a chance to put a few through it today, and was pleasantly suprised. I in general don't like the SRH, even though I'm a big ruger fan, but must say, with the big holes in the cylinder and barrel, its lost some weight. Most impressive was how well it shot, I fired a plinker load, 380 gr LBT LFN over ~17 gr 296, from a rest w/ 2x scope. The 25 yd group was a tad over 1", but not by much. Recoil was very mild, but I have no doubt once the load gets cranked up, so will the recoil.

I think ruger has a winner on its hand. Of note is the fact that the cylinder is actually longer then the 475 linebaugh customs. He loaded the 380 to the first lube groove, so the COL is longer then the 475 linebaugh. So, despite the shorter case, with proper bullets, the 480 offers more case capacity. I have no desire to load one to 475 levels, or beyond, but have little doubt it will push a 400 gr bullet 1200 fps, heck, it should push 440's that fast, or faster. I think the real limitation on this gun will be recoil, not the strength of the gun, though some lunatic might manage to disasemble one with a hot load.

Make mine a 6", and I'll get in line for one.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Daniel>
posted
I agree totally. The 480 Ruger is no 475 Linebaugh, and shooters of the 480 should not delude themselves into thinking it is. I am not knocking the 480, I am sure it will be a good cartridge. But I have read many accounts from people talking about how close it comes to 475 Linebaugh and it just doesn't. It doesn't even equal full powered 454 Casull loads. It does what it was designed to do: it outperforms 44 magnum without the recoil of 454. Time will tell if shooters will decide if there is a need for such a thing.

<SlimL>
posted
Nice to hear from someone who has shot one. Be sure to keep us posted of further developments. I personally think I will get one but I am going to wait to see if the price comes down just a bit. I think the little more power will be an insurance factor for elk over using the .44 Mag. I have just started playing with 300+ grain bullets in my .44 SRH though so I have plenty enough recoil for now. I think I would get a 7 1/2" barrel myself. SlimL

<Patrick>
posted
Gentlemen, check out the Hodgdon load data available at their web site. These loads show more of the potential, with a factory cartridge. They remind me of the 45 colt factory vs +P load relationship.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Slim,

What is the price you've seen them going for? My buddy picked his up for $580.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Shot the 480 again today, as I recall the load was a 335 gr cast over 17.5 gr 2400. No idea how fast it was going, but would guestimate 1200 fps. The load left a fair amount of unburned powder, but was accurate.

First thing I noted was the recoil, or lack there of. I know its apples and oranges, but w/ a 330 gr cast and 18 gr 2400, my 4 5/8" sbh does ~1200 fps, but recoil is stout! The 480 SRH at this level is a pussycat, on par w/ a 240 gr 1000 fps load from the 44. Ok, given the SRH w/ scope is heavier then the shorty 44 sbh, but that only accounts for some of the recoil difference. Actually the 480 srh really isn't that heavy, it is noteably lighter then a the 454 srh due to the bigger holes in it.

I didn't shoot it on paper, but shot 10 rounds at the silouettes. The first five were directed at the turkey at 150 yds, first shot was too low, but I was 3/4 for the rest. Next 5 were directed at the ram at 200, I believe I popped it 3/5, but someone fired when I expected to here the clang, so not sure. No fance rest, just plopped it over a block of wood, scope was 2X leupold.

I really need to get one of these!

<SlimL>
posted
Best price that I have seen was $569.00. I was out shopping for a new .22 LR to buy on July 9th in honor of National Gun Buying Day. You know, the day that the UN starts it's gun bashing conference. SlimL