THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Revolver shooting high question

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver shooting high question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was working on a friend's ruger blackhawk in 30 carbine caliber. Loaded 100 and 110 grain bullets. The gun shot everything 12 to 14 inches high at 20 yards.rear sight as low as it would go. Does anyone have any ideas as how to correct this other than a very tall front sight. Thank you for any ideas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt that was shooting high also---not as high as your friends. I sent it back with a target and they replaced the front sight----FREE!

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks hipshoot. I'll look into that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only solution is a higher front sight. I did send a Vaquero back to Ruger and they did repalce the front sight with a taller one.

I did find that S&W changed the bullet weight they regulated their snubbies. Older S&W snubbies shoot to point of aim with 158 grain bulletes

These shoot to point of aim with 125's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slam

Nice targets---I like that!!!

NOT BAD FOR A MODIFIED CHOKE! Big Grin Roll Eyes archer

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slam how do you like the key lock on that
-2?

I've had one without the lock for years and
love it. Price dropped enough I bought another
without knowing it had a key lock on it.

So far it's unfired at two years now.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Slam how do you like the key lock on that
-2?

I've had one without the lock for years and
love it. Price dropped enough I bought another
without knowing it had a key lock on it.

So far it's unfired at two years now.

George

I have a couple with the key lock.

Never used it never well.

I don't know any thing else to say about it.

I guess it I used the lock I could say it I like it or not.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I won't have one with that loc, just on general principle. A few years ago S+W was doing a limited run on vintage 2nd model HE's in 44 spl. One of my favorites. So I bought one + when I saw it had that damned lock, I traded it off for another 1911. Might be cutting my nose off to spite my face but as the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have my Chief special RB 38 special and I had to qualify with it at 7.5 to 60 yards. With S&W old 158 gr. Lead HPs POlice special ammo, still have some of that ( and yes they did expand even on coyotes and bobcats in a trap at 12 to 25 yards, and later with 110 gr. supervels and other bullets..all factory loads...good gun that one, I cut the hammer off and went double actions with it..I shot great except for the left hand at 25 yds and 60 yard target was tricky on a bad day, but I always qualified for carry..I had to file the front site down just a tad..but those guns seldom get shot at any range but 5 to 7 yards double action according to what Ive been taught..

Never fired a shot at anyone on anything other than those targets with my left hand and only one shot at 15 yards while on duty and he lived to stand trail with just a scratch..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a taller front sight on a New Model Single Six convertible for same reason.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14368 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy:

I feel the same way about the damned locks on a gun.

When I ordered it from Spts warehouse I wasn't

aware they made such a thing. Discovered it

after I got it home. Made sure it was unlocked

and left the key in the box with the papers.

The difference between the -1 and -2 was a touch

less than $200 less for the -2.

For that much difference I can live with it

"UNLOCKED". Re: $525 and $332. Thing is, what

pockets do they go in? Carry the pair, or just

one? I wear shorts year round, just got a IWB

wearing it in the belly position. Any lump shows

folks might think I'm hung better than I am, HA!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, a tip of the hat for qualifying with a snubby at 60 yards!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote