New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 mag. for turkeys?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a S&W 357mag. with a 6in. barell that i would like to use on turkeys out to 100yds. Anybody have any suggestions of good factory loads or is this vertually imposible to acheave? All comments are appreciated. Thanx

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redneck7mm:
I have a S&W 357mag. with a 6in. barell that i would like to use on turkeys out to 100yds. Anybody have any suggestions of good factory loads or is this vertually imposible to acheave? All comments are appreciated. Thanx

7mm,

All depends on you. Can you place a shot into the vitals at the distance. I shot one once at about 130 yards with a S&W 6" in 41mag and a 210 grain JSP. The bullet punched right through. The inside of the bird was splattered with feathers.

Ammo i would look for would be Jacketed Soft Points in the 158 range or Hornady XTP of that weight. Need a bullet that is going to punch though all those feathers.

Hope this helps,

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any of the better 125 or heavey 357 bullets well kill a turkey. Just hit them in the wing buts and they are dead.

Posts: 19377 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ssleefl>
posted
Why would you want to kill a game bird with a 357? Pack a lunch because when you blow the thing to kingdom come, there won't be any meat left for turkey sandwiches. If you just want to kill a bird, shoot a buzzard or a crow.

At 100 yards??????

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ssleefl:
Why would you want to kill a game bird with a 357? Pack a lunch because when you blow the thing to kingdom come, there won't be any meat left for turkey sandwiches. If you just want to kill a bird, shoot a buzzard or a crow.

At 100 yards??????

LOL! That's a good one....

mike

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote