Find
Notify
Tools

lets talk scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
ok i have a stainless super blackhawk in 44 mag with a 10 1/2 in bbl was thinkine about a leopold 2.5 x8 what do you guys use and are there scope mounts for the super blackhawk that would allow me to keep on my sights. Thanks Dave

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Fuzz>
posted
The Leopold is a good scope but you won't need 8 power unless your shooting from a rest. I have a Bushnell 2x6 on my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk and use 2 or 3 power when hunting. I ues a mount from B-Square. All you need to do is remove the rear site then install the muont yourself.

posted Hide Post
Tanoose,
Any more than 4x is wasted on a .44mag. You're unlikely to shoot farther than 125yds., anyway.

My Redhawk .44 wore a Leupold 2x for years, but it now wears a red-dot. I didn't need any magnification for my hunting (generally under 50yds.).

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 08-24-2001).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Save the 2.5-8x for the 309 JDJs and their ilk, not a 44 maggie. Personally, I find that I need nothing more than 2x for my .44s, .454, and 45-70. But, the 2.5-8x sure is handy when making a 300 yards shot with the 309, but you sure don't need that on a 44. Before I got the 309 I had the 2.5-8x on the 45-70 for several years (I always knew I was this was a temp home until a long range barrel came around) and it was never set above 2.5x. Out to 100 yards 2x is plenty of power. Remember, FOV is much smaller in a handgun scope than it is in a rifle scope of the same power. You have to trade off something for the extra eye relief, and FOV is it. Brand, Leupold of course

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<gunner7mm>
posted
ive got a 4x weaver on my 44 mag encore.i like it.my favoret scope is the bushnell elite handgun scope i agree to that with the range of a 44 4x is pleanty.

[This message has been edited by gunner7mm (edited 09-04-2001).]

<Paul Dustin>
posted
well Tanoose I use a 2x or 3x Burris on all my rugers with scopes on them and they work fine. you do not need a 2x6 on a 44.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose,
I mounted a Leupold 2X8 on my 7 1/2" SBH and agree with George. Go with the Red Dot unless you plan on doing a lot of bench rest shooting
Leif Wold

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
I agree with Big Bore on the 2.5 X 8 scopes, save it for the long ranges. Granted you can use your .44 for longer ranges but save it for up close and personal. I disagree on the Red Dot sights though. A cross hair in the field of view has the tendency, at least for me, to help me focus on a smaller target area. With a Red Dot or Aimpoint I have the tendency to just throw it up there. You can get a Leupold 4X Fixed Power EER from Midway for $236.00. You can't go wrong with a Leupold! SlimL