New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger owners: Please L@@k
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Below is a photo of my NEW Ruger Bisley Hunter, 44 mag. Notice the (machining) mark on the underside of the topstrap just above the cylinder gap.

I called Ruger about it, they told me to send it in so they could look at it. They returned it as is saying "mark on topstrap is normal".

This would be fine, except that I cannot find ANY Rugers at any of the local gunshops that have this mark, nor do any of my other Ruger revolvers have this mark. Is this "normal" or are they just shanking me?

Please tell me if any of your Ruger revlovers have this mark. Thanks very much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Picture not showing up for me but it sounds like somebody at Ruger just had his brain disengaged the day they did your barrel. No big deal. 100 years from now it may have some collecter's value.

That's my wild guess.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two Vaqueros didn't have that mark.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is VERY normal, for Stainless guns anyway.

It will not affect your guns performance at all. If you do not belive me... then sell that "piece of crap" to me for a discount and go buy another!!

I have a first edition 44 SBH Hunter that has the mark(s) and a single six that has the mark(s). All are stainless.

I have not seen this on Blued guns, but that does not mean they do not exist.

To me it looks like they went a little too far when threading the reciever for the barrel.

Having shot thousands of rounds through a gun with those "marks" I can tell you, it is NOT a problem nor is it a defect.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try to post pictures of mine when my wife gets back in town. She is away at the beach and just had to take the digital camera with her!! Hopefully she will remember sand and water to not get along with digital cameras!

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like when they bored the frame for the barrel, they went in a little deep and hence the little moon in the top strap. I wouldn't worry about it. Since your's is the only gun you can find with that mark, maybe it's a collectors item

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3, the more I stare at your picture, the more I have this vague recollection of having seen such a mark somewhere before. Most of my revolvers are Smith. I'll look at them tonight if I can remember and see if one of them has such a groove.

Anyway, it's nothing to worry about. Only bad thing about this thing is it's going to be a "dirt catcher" where it's located and bullet lube, smoke etc will try to fill the ditch for you.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Thanks for all your replies. I apppreciate your time.

Pecos, yes, it does, indeed act as a powder residue collector...

Collector's item, perhaps. I can't imagine it will hurt anything, it is just poor machining - always feels good to know you own the one that the machinists slapped together at 4:59PM on a friday...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Collector's item, perhaps. I can't imagine it will hurt anything, it is just poor machining - always feels good to know you own the one that the machinists slapped together at 4:59PM on a friday...

Well, if that is the case then you are not the only one. I have 2 of them.

I have also seen this on other peoples rugers but as said before always on the stainless guns.

David

<9.3x62>
posted
I wonder why only on the SS ones - is the barrel shank larger or something? Just curious...

I feel a bit better knowing that there are some others out there - for a while there I felt like Ruger was just being trying to BS me..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I wonder why only on the SS ones - is the barrel shank larger or something? Just curious...

I will answer this when you tell me why the stainless Bisley grip frame is larger than the Chrome moly one!

David

<9.3x62>
posted
I was kind of expecting that to come back up...