THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    .454 Ragin Bull...Opinions & Experiences?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.454 Ragin Bull...Opinions & Experiences?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted
I came across a good deal on a Taurus Ragin Bull .454 Casull w/ ported 8 3/4" barrel.

Naturally, I'm a die-hard 1911 Colt loyalist & enjoyed Taurus's PT-1911...I'm curious if the Ragin Cajun would be as impressive as my Colt Anaconda, keeping in mind that I hunt w/ +P loads, like the Grizzly PUNCH & BB.

If I purchase, this gun will be used primarily for hog hunting & perhaps one day an Alaskan bear hunt.

What Say You?

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think silence speaks volumes. popcorn

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Not a big fan of Taurus products. Seems to be hit or miss. That said, I have a friend who has a .454 RB and he is exceedingly happy with it. I've shot it and I too would be happy to own it. I wouldn't mind getting a Tracker if it shoots well.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
I had a Raging Bull 454 for a while and cases would stick badly even with factory loads. I had to download the damn thing to near 45 Colt levels to get it to eject spent cases. Got rid of it long ago and I don't miss it at all.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the issue may be consistency in manufacture. I had one and really liked it.
Shot well, functioned well. Sold it because it was too cumbersome to tote around. Shoulder holster helped. If you could, I'd shoot it first....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
The "Raging Bull" that was Jake LaMotta a great 50's middle weight boxer

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I think silence speaks volumes. popcorn

I second that one. . . . coffee

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
The "Raging Bull" that was Jake LaMotta a great 50's middle weight boxer

Which was made into an outstanding film starring Robert Deniro -- he actually got an Oscar for his performance if memory serves me correctly. Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
Now I know why the pistol was for sale so cheap.

Trying to compare a Colt Anaconda vs Taurus Ragin Bull are definitely apple & oranges.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had two and they just kept having issues and the turnaround from the factory on the repairs was more than 3 months everytime. great idea, bad execution

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Why a Taurus if You have more stronger, better finished and reliable guns like S&W, Ruger, Freedom or Colt? forget these S&W bad copies. Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of at least two Taurus RBs that were returned because the barrels shot loose. A .454 and a .500.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D B Cooper:
I know of at least two Taurus RBs that were returned because the barrels shot loose. A .454 and a .500.

Ya. . . . what he said. . . . . .

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason..........forget the Taurus crap. If you want a big bore revolver get one from a company that specializes in big bore guns.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
Andy, I passed on this deal, no worries. I am now investigating custom revolvers, taking my time & having fun with my next project.

Yes, I'm very anxious to kill my first hand gunned hog, as well as trying out different ammo & recording it's performance.

The Garrett stuff seems very impressive, gonna order some today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well despite the ney sayers, I have, I guess, one of the good ones. I have shot full tilt loads and light 45 class loads and it has worked just fine. Accuracy is outstanding with about anything that goes down the barrel.

It does drop hogs like a hot match as well.

The main load uses 34grs of 296 under the 265gr CP WFPGC and runs right at 1850fps. Plenty for anything I am after.

Folks told me my IAI Javelina 10mm was no better than a trotline weight also, but with 2" or less 50yd groups I will keep it as well.

Mike / Tx

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I to have a Raging Bull in 454 Casull that I never have had a problem with, from mild to hot.Works for me and with Idaho's new short range hunting rules,fills the bill over my 45-70 BFR.

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I bought one several years ago and had the case sticking problem. The chambers were egged towards the rim. I sent it back and now it works great. It loves 340gn bullets around 1350fps, 1.5" groups at 50yds is fairly easy to do.
I would like a different scope mounting option. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote