Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Which .500 S&W?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I am in the mood for something new in the "just for fun" category. I have no specific intensions in mind other than the smile a big bore handgun will put on my face.

My largest revolver to date is a 1980's Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag. My dad purchased it new when he was still hunting mountain lions in the Sierras with our old faithful pack of Walker hounds.

Anyway, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

or

Question:
Which revolver would you choose?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/we..._775655_757751_image

Choices:
S&W Model 500 in 10.5" barrel (SKU 170231)
S&W Model 500 in 7.5" barrel (SKU 170299)
Another model that I will name below

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I ordered 7.5" one.

Jiri

Posts: 2086 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something in the 3" to 4" barrel length. Would be used as protection only! Short range,quick handling,and lethal! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have the 6.5 inch and feel it is the best mix of portability and performance.

Posts: 5704 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i second the 6.5" in gun.

Posts: 559 | Location: texas | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
The longest I would want the barrel in a revolver would be 6 inches and I'd much prefer 5 inches. For me, those barrel lengths would be the maximum length for me to sit comfortably with one on a belt holster.

I'd be OK with a 4 inch barrel except it wouldn't be legal for Ohio deer hunting.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I like the Magnum Research BFR's. That would be my choice.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
6.5" is what I have and prefer. Portability is not too bad whereas longer would be a trial for me.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the weight and compactness of a single action with a Reeder custom built stretch frame in the 500 S&W. The frame is not as long as the BFR. I have two, one with an octagon 7.5" bbl and one with a 4-5/8" bbl., as well as a Reeder stretch frame in the 475 Maximum w/ 4-5/8" bbl. The big double actions are just too much of a good thing for me. That said, in that DA platform the 6.5 is it.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I prefer the weight and compactness of a single action with a Reeder custom built stretch frame in the 500 S&W. The frame is not as long as the BFR. I have two, one with an octagon 7.5" bbl and one with a 4-5/8" bbl., as well as a Reeder stretch frame in the 475 Maximum w/ 4-5/8" bbl. The big double actions are just too much of a good thing for me. That said, in that DA platform the 6.5 is it.

Woodrow -- care to share some load info on your .475 Maximum? I'm having one built as we speak and am starting to look for load data. Thanks!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the SW .500 in the 8 3/4 inch. Works great in a shoulder holster, plus the extra accuracy and velocity is worth the extra length. I'm not sure a SW .500 in a 4 inch barrel is going to utilize all that powder.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer a single action in 500 Linebaugh.

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
BTW mine S&W Model 500 in 7.5" barrel (SKU 170299) today arrived in the shop. I have to do papers. It is just formal, but here you need "buying permission" - about 10 USD, and after buying, you have to register it (about 15 USD). I hope brass and the rest of bullets will arrive in two weeks, because of 500 S&W ammo shortage here.

Jiri

Posts: 2086 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
First, thank all of you for your input and recommendations. After a some more research and a lot of soul searching, I decided upon the same model as Jiri, the S&W Performance Center with the 7.5" barrel (170299).

While I was at it, I ordered up a set of Redding competition die set (I like the micrometer seater), Redding Expander, Wilson case gauge, Wilson trimmer case holder, Hornady brass, and a handful of Hornady and Barnes bullets from 275 to 325 grains (mostly on sale). With plans to add 375 to 500 grainers to the mix after I break it (and myself) in some.

Powders I have on hand already:
-Hodgdon H110 / Winchester 296
-Hodgdon Lil'Gun
-Hodgdon Longshot
-Hodgdon Trail boss

Powders on order:
-Ramshot Enforcer / Accurate 4100

I've read elsewhere about throat erosion with some powders (Lil'Gun??), but I can't remember where. I will have to do a search again.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Kenati:

My revolver is not still ready. (Seller told me that it is ready but he did mistake, it was another model for someone else).

I have already RCBS Carbide 3-Die set + Redding Profile Crimp Die. I always crimp in seperate step.

For "full loads", I have Hodgdon H110. For medium loads, I have VV N105 (already using it for .460 Rowland). I will buy VV TinStar or IMR TrailBoss for light loads if it will be available here.

Also have Woodleigh 400gr bullets for full loads and ordered plastic coated 400gr HC bullets for the rest. Will order maybe 330gr coated HC too.

I like and I want to develop all loads using Federal GM215M primers.

I will stay away from Hodgdon Lil' Gun because of erosion you mentioned.

Jiri

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Kenati:

My revolver is not still ready. (Seller told me that it is ready but he did mistake, it was another model for someone else).

I have already RCBS Carbide 3-Die set + Redding Profile Crimp Die. I always crimp in seperate step.

For "full loads", I have Hodgdon H110. For medium loads, I have VV N105 (already using it for .460 Rowland). I will buy VV TinStar or IMR TrailBoss for light loads if it will be available here.

Also have Woodleigh 400gr bullets for full loads and ordered plastic coated 400gr HC bullets for the rest. Will order maybe 330gr coated HC too.

I like and I want to develop all loads using Federal GM215M primers.

I will stay away from Hodgdon Lil' Gun because of erosion you mentioned.

Jiri

Any particular reason for using Magnum Large Rifle primers in a revolver cartridge? Based on my discussions with Linebaugh, this drives pressures way up.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
MS Hitman:

Yes. Some loads "out there" are with LR primers and another one with LRM. I read also about erratic ignition when using slower ball powders in low temperatures with some LR primers in .500 S&W.

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
For example Alliant recommend Fed215 primers:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/r...ellid=40&bulletid=79

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
My revolver arrived last week. I have shot some factory staff (Magtech 500 A - 400gr JFN) and reloads with H110 and Woodleigh bullets ( https://docs.google.com/spread...3qg7U9HBA/edit#gid=0 )

7.5" PC version is easy to shoot even with one hand and trigger is very nice too.

Jiri