Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2016/17 Deer season
 Login/Join

posted
Opening day for gun season in MS (Saturday before Thanksgiving) will be here before we know it.

I believe this years rotation will begin with my .375 JDJ and Mag-Na-Port Stalker. Haven't hunted with either of these handguns in a while. I'm also planning to take the Glock 21 out for those times I'm sitting in the woods and I don't expect a long shot.

What does everyone plan to hunt with this year?

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I'm going to take my .454 SBH out this year. I'm actually testing it with a scope right now (don't tell anyone) and plan on using it on mountain lion in January, so I would like to use the same set-up on deer beforehand. I might take my custom .45 Colt Bisley out as well.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I don't foresee getting to do any deer hunting close enough that I would be comfortable doing it with a handgun. There is the possibility of 100-yard shots in Wisconsin if I could get up there early enough, but that is kind of a stretch, even with the 357 Redhawk. I firmly believe that a 180 out of the RH would get it done, I just don't see being able to put myself in that position. Maybe a late hunt to S. Texas as a guest, but time will tell.

You guys post photos; the rest of us will just have to live vicariously!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
41GNR, 9" barrel on a TC Contender w/ Leupold scope.
410GNR Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter w/ 4x Leupold.

Both full customs by Gary Reeder.

Deer and Black bear.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a S&W Stealth Hunter, 44 mag, for about 5 years and never took it hunting yet. Even purchased a scope for it. Might give the set up a go. Still on the fence about putting the scope on since most shots around our stand will not exceed 40 yards.
But then, my Bisley 45 Colt hasn't drawn blood yet so maybe it will go with me.

Muzzle loading season could prove to be interesting as I picked up a SS Ruger Old Army. Never killed anything yet with a muzzle loading handgun.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I have owned a S&W Stealth Hunter, 44 mag, for about 5 years and never took it hunting yet. Even purchased a scope for it. Might give the set up a go. Still on the fence about putting the scope on since most shots around our stand will not exceed 40 yards.
But then, my Bisley 45 Colt hasn't drawn blood yet so maybe it will go with me.

Muzzle loading season could prove to be interesting as I picked up a SS Ruger Old Army. Never killed anything yet with a muzzle loading handgun.

Last time I checked, cap and ball revolvers are not legal for muzzle loading season in MS. However, I have no doubt of their capability with a well placed shot.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as they are at least .36 caliber they are legal in Tennessee according to TWRA Smiler
I love this state!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I left Illinois and moved back to NY I can hunt deer with a rifle again, but there will be a day or two when I may leave the rifle home and tote my S&W M629 8" with 2x Leupold.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My season has come and gone and I was unsuccessful in getting a deer. I was carrying (as back up) my Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8" 45 Colt with Lee 300gr cast over a stiff charge of Win 296.
I had two bucks not more than 15yds from me the evening prior to opening day. I could have easily shot one but of course I didn't. They were no where to be seen the following morning though that's for sure.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
This will be my first year trying to get a deer with handgun and I'm taking the 6.5" barreled Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag. Sticking with factory sights out to 30 yards as that's all I feel comfortable with. Shouldn't be a problem where I hunt as I've got plenty of bow hunting stands that are set up for in-close shots.

The only thing I can't decide is on what load to use. I've got three factory load options that shoot well; 140 grain Barnes X, 158 grain Remington SJHP, and 158 grain Federal SJSP.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I can't decide is on what load to use. I've got three factory load options that shoot well; 140 grain Barnes X, 158 grain Remington SJHP, and 158 grain Federal SJSP.

Stick any one of them in the right spot and you well have a dead deer

Posts: 19375 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I went deer hand hunting only a couple years ago. I shot a big doe one year with a S&W 29 and the next year with a Raging bull in .454. I have since sold both. This year I went with a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 colt shot a deer that my buddy hit and had to finish off. Then I carried my Tracker Titanium in .45 colt but only had a shot at a rabbit that I gave to my mom. Maybe this coming January will be time for the handgun only again deer hunt if I can find the proper grips for my 44mag Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter. I love pistol hunting it is a lot easier on my shoulders than a rifle.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Went deer hunting this morning with my Mag-Na-Port Stalker on the Ruger Super Blackhawk platform. Saw no deer, but I should have taken my Contender in .410, or a .22 LR.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got to wring out my old 25-35 on a big doe kill, with all the meat going to the Orphans homes, all stand hunting at 125 yards average..

Got our Mule deer in Idaho, 250-3000 Ruger fwt and the 110 gr. Accubonds...

Elk with the .338 and 225 gr. Accubonds. twas a good year for this curmudgeons heart and filled his heart doc with glee..He hates my undieing taste for beef, or maybe its my dieing taste for beef!..Oh well, elk and deer it is for 2017.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41838 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Our season ended yesterday evening 30 minutes after sunset. It was a long range theater this year with no luck hunting in the woods. Thank God for Contenders.