THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    New Revolver Shopping Question

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Revolver Shopping Question
 Login/Join

posted
I am in the market for a new big bore revolver for hunting/backup. I currently own a stock SRH in 454. It is ok, but I really would like something more custom. I am really interested in a 475 or 500 Linebaugh, or something equivalent. I have researched Bowen, Linebaugh and a few others that do Ruger conversions. I am also considering Freedom Arms or Magnum research. I would like to hear from everyone with experience in these calibers. Also, if I have missed any other builders that make a good dependable product, feel free to make recomendations and post pictures fo ideas. Thanks for everyones help.

Posts: 39 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Kevin, if you haven't already, check out Gary Reeder. I am having him build me a Blackhawk in 510 GNR. www.reedercustomguns.com

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Kevin, as I posted elsewhere, Jack Huntington converts SRHs. He is converting my .480 SRH to .475 Linebaugh with a custom made 5-shot cylinder. So, if you are looking for someone to do a conversion on your SRH, I would look no further than Jack Huntington. His number is: (530) 268-6877. A number of members who post here have guns built by Jack. Plus, he's very reasonably priced. My SRH is supposed to be done in about 6 weeks and I will post photos of it as soon as I get it in my hands. I also have an SRH in .454 that I am considering sending to Jack to convert to .500 JRH, but that's another story for another time!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You may want to look at Clements Custom Guns if you have not already. I have handles and shot revolvers customized by Linebaugh, Bowen, Clements, and Huntington. All have been well built. I have both of the Linebaugh calibers in different revolvers, one of them being the FA. It is also a well built revolver.

You need to try to shoot some of the different calibers and makes before making a purchase if at all possible.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a hard look at the Freedom Arms Revolvers.

I think they are the best Single Action handguns made.

I have a 475.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you decide on a freedom arms look for a used one. Some great deals are avaiable on them for some reason. If the sixgunner forum every gets back up look at Alan Hortons work.
John

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I would third the freedom arms as a great six (oops five) gun. Quality is impeccable.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...Sometimes people want a "Custom" because they want some blend of blue, and / or case coloring, damascus, etc. However, if stainless steel will satisfy you ( it's all I've been interested in for a serious hunting handgun for many years) then I believe there is no better, stronger, more accurate, or precisely built revolver than the Freedom Arms. The finish can be the more highly polished Premier Grade or the more subdued Field Grade, which I prefer.
Barrels can be round or octagon, and any reasonable length. Various sight options are available, as are Micarta and wood grips. Obviously custom grips and engraving are available aftermarket. Calibers include the .41, .44, the .454, .475 Linebaugh, and .500 WE as well as others. I've taken a great deal of game with mine,in all those calibers, including the bears, boar, bison, elk, deer, buffalo, and various Afican plains game up through lion.
I personally prefer the .475 Linebaugh, but the needs and opinions of others will vary.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
J_zola, where are the Freedom Arms deals that you are referring to. I have ben looking for some time without success.
Thanks, peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Another vote for FA. I bought mine in 2003 and haven't hunted big game with anything else since.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, Local or the net. Most guns looked like they were dropped once. I just checked and retail price is $2120 for a premeier 454 and up. My 6 inch 454 was $1300 used but apppears unfired.
John

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that $1300 is a good deal. I was looking for a 475.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigBores
posted Hide Post
After owning most of the above, here are my thoughts.

FAs aren't made to be field guns. Too tight tolerances to be practical. A little bit of anything (stick, grit, residue) in the works and they tend to bind. Not good.

Bowen's guns are beautiful and they work but I hate to take something that nice into the field. Been there done that but it's ashame sometimes.

Gary Reeder's guns work but a little too much bling for me and "his" (GNR) calibers duplicate what's already there in most cases. I had a 500 Linebaugh done by him. It worked well but the engraving was a bit much. I guess if you want something different.

John Linebaugh's guns are good working guns but he's been having some quality issues lately. Not consistantly but it's there. I still carry a Linebaugh, mine works.

Dave Clement's guns are on par with John Linebaugh's. I have several conversions done by him.

Dustin Linebaugh, let's just say that the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Nice guns with a few more innovations than his dad.

Phillips and Rogers is by far the most economical. I have a 5 shot 45 Colt done by Roger and is a good working tool.

Ben Forkin does nice work too.

There ya' go. Opinions are like @ssholes...

GR
NRA Endowment Member

Read "Sixguns" by Keith.

Posts: 195 | Location: The AK Interior | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBores:
After owning most of the above, here are my thoughts.

FAs aren't made to be field guns. Too tight tolerances to be practical. A little bit of anything (stick, grit, residue) in the works and they tend to bind. Not good.

Although the Freedom Arms pistols have tight tolerances, they haven't presented any issues with field use. Binding can occur if they haven't been cleaned after 100 rds of shooting the big stuff .

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help and information. I have talked to a few of the makers, still debating on direction. Please keep the opinions coming.

Posts: 39 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be repetetive, but if you want to convert the SRH that you already have, look no further than Jack Huntington. At least give him a call and have a talk with him.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
+1 ..........

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've carried FAs in the field in Africa as well as several states. Not had a problem with tight tolerances or any other design feature for that matter. Opinions and experiences vary.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or just buy this one which is very fairly priced. I'd jump on it but I already own a 5 shot Bisley in 475.

http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/014031.html

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the recoil on that Redhawk be pretty substantial?
Peter.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Yup, if loaded hot, it'll kick substantially. I have a Super Readhawk in .454 Casull that is pretty unpleasant, but one gets used to it.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of BigBores
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boxhead:
Or just buy this one which is very fairly priced. I'd jump on it but I already own a 5 shot Bisley in 475.

http://www.rugerforum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/014031.html

Sorry, this one's gone now.
Thanks for the link!

GR
NRA Endowment Member

Read "Sixguns" by Keith.

Posts: 195 | Location: The AK Interior | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote