New
Find
Notify
Tools

A ? that I was asked today
 Login/Join

<EricH>
posted
Being the resident "expert"(and I am using that term very losely) hunter in my office I was asked today, "what is the best handgun to buy for whitetail deer?" Some things to keep in mind;
The buyer has only shot a handgun a few times.
And he wants to keep the price under a grand.

I told him I would do some digging and get back to him. Being that I only bowhunt and rifle hunt I was at loss to give him any advice. My guess would be something in the .357 range with a longer bore, for the accuracy, but that is just a guess. What do you guys think?

<Dodgy Doug>
posted
Erich,
I've been hunting exclusively with a handgun for 15 years now,and although the're are some people who have good success with a .357 at ranges 50 yards and less, I would not recommend that caliber to your friend. If you are looking for a revolver I would advise scoping it ( iron sights require more practice). Even the fastest handgun calibers pale when compared to a rifle in velocity, so I believe in punching a big hole. That said I would opt for a a minimum of .41 mag (may be best to start with recoil moderate), or a .44 mag (due to availability of over the counter loads), but if your friend reloads then I would definetly pick the .45 Long Colt. A 250 grain hollow point at 1200 -1500 fps is adequate for whitetail at handgun ranges (usually 70 yards or less) A revolver offers the flexibility to be carried with the iron sights, and used as a back up for close shots which is something many rifle hunters do. If you want to get specialized than a contender with a 10 inch barrel in 7x30 Waters would be a good choice. This will give your friend rifle accuracy, and a range of 150-200 yards. The 7x30 has quite a following. Recoil is mild, and a 10 inch barrel has good balance in the hand. A good 4x scope would round things out nicely or your could opt for a 1.5-4 variable. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Dodgy Doug (edited 11-11-2001).]

<10point>
posted
I would go with , at least, a .41mag. I think S&W is still makeing one. Even better a nice Ruger .44. A .44mag is pretty easy to learn shoot for a man, just make sure your friend start's out with some Uncle Mike shooting gloves and good ear-gear.

Ive started friends out with .44's by loading down for them. Interesting to note, that even guy's who havnt shot much dont have to much a problem with my .454.

I'd stay away from the .357 for hunting............good luck..........10

<short243>
posted
I've noticed that at 75yds the 44 spec. has real close to the same point of impact as does the 44mag. Start your friend on spec loads and after a few then try mag loads, and finish practicing with a few spec agian. The object is to keep flinch down. I recently got Savage striker after having an Encore, both chambered in308, the striker has a lot less precieved recoil, I guess it's the way the stock is built and it makes big differene in amount of round put down range which equals how well you shoot...

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I would say the 44 mag. You can start with 44spl to get a feel for the gun then go up to the 44 mag. My gun would be a RUGER SUPER REDHAWk it will hold the hot loads if you need them. I can push a 240gr XTP at 1650fps out of my 9 1/2 RUGER. This is with 22.5gr of VIHTAVUORI-OY N110 and a 300gr lead bullet at 1492fps with 19.2gr of N110.
DO NOT USE THESE LOADS WITH OUT REDUCING 15%
AND WORK YOUR WAY UP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell him to buy a decent .22 and to forget hunting with a handgun until he is proficient in using one. Very few new shooters are going to learn to shoot any handgun adequately for game with any of the magnums, without some serious and knowledgeable coaching and practice. If he feels the .22 is not manly enough, let him get a .45 auto and learn to shoot that.

[This message has been edited by Gatogordo (edited 11-12-2001).]

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<migra>
posted
Gatogordo is 100% right except for the .45 part. If he thinks a .22 isn't manly enough he needs to reconsider this hangun hunting thing. After he gets really good with the .22 everyone else is right. .41 or .44 I've never hunted with the .41 but it has a good reputation. I have hunted with the .44 and it is a sure enough deer and antelope stomper! I can't hold a scope over 2x steady enough so I like the 2x. Steadier hands can make better use of more pwerful optics so why not go variable. Other than that this guy is in for a whole new hunting experience that is a lot of fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the rest of the guys with one minor difference. I've shot double action revolvers for a long time and in the last year I finally got a single action Ruger Bisley. All of your hunting should be in single action mode regardless of whether your gun is single action only or not. He might consider getting a single action Ruger in 44 or 45 (for the reasons mentioned already). The only reason to start with the 44 is if he doesn't reload. You will not find good 45 loads in many places but you will have no trouble finding suitable hunting loads for the 44 anywhere. Between that and a good practice load and/or .22 pistol he will be in good shape if he is certain to mash a lot of primers beforehand.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
After he has gotten good with a 22 like Gatgordo has succested. You can kill anything on this continant with a good 41. I love mine and have no need to go to the 44. It is getting harder to find a good 41. Tarus makes several. I think S&W still offers a 657 from their custom shop. I think Ruger has dropped it. This is the only reason I would go with the 44 over the 41. Theres just a lot more over the counter stuff for the 44.
X-Ring AKA Scooter

<EricH>
posted
Thanks for the input, this will help a lot. I am going to send him the link to this and have him read it through. For all you Cheese Heads out there good luck and shoot straight and safe.

[This message has been edited by EricH (edited 11-14-2001).]

<SlimL>
posted
All very good advice. Having hunted with both the .41 and the .44 I can say either is good. The .41 has about the same power as the .44 with much less felt recoil. Light load are good for both for practice: 6.4 to 6.8 gr. of Bullseye with 215 gr. SWC in .41 or 7.0 to 7.6 gr of Bullseye with a 240 gr. SWC in .44. No crimp and non-mag primers in both of these. You can't get enough practice with a .22 in getting ready to handgun hunt. I just happen to carry both an Encore in .257 Roberts and a Super Redhawk in .44 when I hunt. Cover a lot of range that way. Slim

<MontanaMarine>
posted
For deer hunting I think an Encore .44Mag would be hard to beat. MM