New
Find
Notify
Tools

front sight height
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking about getting a taller front sight for my BFR, but I'm not sure what height to get. Is the height of the front blade measured from the barrel to the top of the post? If so, then I have a .400" post.

Right now, it's hitting about 9" high at 50yds with the rear sight as low as it goes. How much taller should the front post be to bring the POI down with out using up all of my elevation on the rear sight?

I want to get the HiViz front sight and the Millet white outlined rear from Magnum Research. Has anyone used these sights?

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What you want to do is to multiply the desired change in height, say 12"; by the length of the sight radius; divided by the distance to the target in inches (50 yards = 1,800 inches). This will give you the necessary change in the front sight height.

For example: using a 6" sight radius;

(12" X 6")/1,800" = 0.04" that would have to be added to your current sight height to get you where you want to be.

Hope this helps.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I think that this is exactly what I needed.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote