New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Rifles, not pistols
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm all for anyone hunting with whatever type weapon they wish, whether it's a bow, muzzle loader, or Flash Gordon's ray gun, for that matter. But there's been a trend in recent years to classify hunting with guns with 16" barrels chambered for rifle cartridges, scoped with 2.5-8X variables, lacking only shoulder stocks as "handgun hunting".

Again, I have no quarrel with the Contender crowd or JDJ cartridges, I just think that "handgun hunting" hunting is something you do with a pistol or revolver cartridge and open sights. Taking a deer or hog with a .45 Colt sixshooter by stalking within 50 yards is a lot different from whacking an antelope with a scoped single-shot wringing up 2500 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards; not that either is a cinch, nor is one activity inherently superior to the other.

I think that we hunters really ought to clarify when talking about using something other than a shoulder-fired arm whether we are "handgun hunters" or "hand rifle hunters".

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
What about revolvers using Modified rifle cartridges? The 475 Linebaugh or the 500 Linebaugh. What about rifles using handgun cartridges? The 357 mag the 44 Mag and the like? I guess that is alright. If we are going to be selective lets do it across the board ok. That is like the guy that funnels beer saying its JUST BEER when asked why he drinks so much. But then he says that his neighbor that drinks whiskey is in the wrong. Both are alcoholic drinks aren't they? Indulgence is indulgence right or am I missing something. I have heard some oldtimes say that is measuring someone elses corn in your half bushel.A handgun is a firearm that can be shot and designed to be shot either one or two handed. A rifle is not. The cartridge has nothing to do with it unless we want to condemn modified rifle cartridges in revolvers. Lets be fair across the board if we are going to open this can of worms for the umpteen millionth time. When I buy your guns for you I'll buy you what I want you to use to satisfy me and when you buy mine you can buy me what you want me to use to satisfy you. Now that would be about as fair as a person can get. Have a good day being the traditional handgun police. Something else we need on here. Moderators and the tradional police.

<Crawfish>
posted
MePlat,
Aman to that. Nuff said.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I agree with Meplat a handgun is handgun no mater what cartridge it shoot. I use both sixguns and single shot pistol and in joy shooting both. Some people can shoot these single pistol better then most can shoot there rifle. It is all in what you injoy shooting.

<J�rgen>
posted
Good arguments guys !!But does it really
matter where we draw the line ??The beauty
is in the eye of the beholder , right ??
Look at the next topic above and send me
some data o.k. ?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
What ever turns your crank, or floats your boat. I shoot just about everything, and each has its place.

While the hand rifles have some advantages over an iron sighted sixgun, they have many disadvantages. If you ever try to shoot a hand rifle offhand, you'll find it is much more difficult to do than with a sixgun, or with a rifle.

I can think of some instances where the handrifle comes into its own, a contender is lighter then a featherweight rifle, yet offers a 200-250 yd range. If you are doing a hike in hunt, packing a light contender in the backpack is an interesting option.

I really don't care what tools other folks use, or if one is a "true" handgun hunter or not. I see the use for an iron sighted sixgun, and the appeal of up close and personal hunting. I also see the use of a hand rifle. As long as its legal, great, the more hunters the better.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Paul, I agree completely.

My point was that hunting with pistols and revolvers is different from hunting with hand rifles (which is different from conventional rifle, bows, hand grenades, or whatever).

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean, when I think of handgun hunting, its an iron sighted sixgun that can be packed on the hip.

That said, if I went out with a scoped contender, I'd still call it handgun hunting Though I do greatly prefer a 10" contender, and find it has a feel that is much closer to a handgun then a rifle.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
I go along with thinking in the traditional manner like when I think of having an affair with another woman I think of her as a beauty; a knock out if you will; but I probably would settle for someone less. Does that mean I an not having an affair. Sorta like thinking of handgun hunting as with a revolver with Iron Sights. A handgun is a handgun is a handgun like a rifle is a rifle is a rifle. If we see a man with one leg does that mean he is a sub human or something. Sorta like a long barreled
Contender or Encore is a sub rifle. Not a rifle not a handgun right like the man with one leg right? I'm not going to lie. It bothers me when someone starts this issue on handguns? What are they? When they state it doesn't matter to them. If it doesn't matter why bring it up in the first place? It must matter to that individual when they bring it up or they would not even mention it. Maybe it bothers some people that a powerhouse can be put in a single shot that can still be fired and controlled with 2 hands. Some caliber that would eat a revolvers lunch. Just my thoughts on the subject.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Meplat...sometimes it bothers me when you post too...you can be quite irritable. When's the last time you had something pleasant to say?

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
This will be my 9th post on the accurate reloading website.. Just trying to get people to think and ask themselves if they are talking from both sides of their mouths isn't wrong. All of us do it. We do it enough accidentally without doing it on purpose. Why should I be made to feel like a subordinate because I shoot a singleshot handgun? What is wrong with rifle cartridges in a singleshot? What is wrong with a scope on a handgun? Are you eyes perfect? Good of they are. Many people use revolvers chambered for modified rifle cartridges. Many people shoot handgun cartridges from a rifle but that is alright. I guess I am subordinate for shooting a rifle cartridge from a handgun or "Short Rifle" as some of your buddies seem to call them. I know I'm crazy but I assure you I'm not the only one. Just look around you. By the way my favorite handguns of all time are my revolvers so maybe I'm not all that crazy and they do shoot a handgun cartridge. Have a nice day and try to understand what I am trying to get across althought it is probably in vain.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
The rumor hear in NY is that the definition of handgun may be changed stating the gun must have a clip or wheel. some counties dont allow rifles but do allow handguns, a 30/06 with a 16 inch barrel is closer to a rifle then a pistol dont you think

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Mr Mike>
posted
Gentlemen,

Is archery not archery if one uses one of the new fangled compound bows as opposed to the stick bow or recurve?

Is a rifle not a rifle if one chooses to use one of the new fangled bolt actions with telescopic sights as opposed to the early black powder rifles or lever action with iron sights?

Maybe we should just start referring to those who choose to hunt with revolvers as "traditional" handgun hunters, that is if they really want to be known as something different.

I personally hunt with revolvers, short-rifles, bolt action and single shot rifles with telescopic sights and a compound bow. I shoot the short-rifles much better than I do the rifles, but I still don't use them exclusively. I shoot the short-rifles much better than I do the revolvers, but I still like to hunt with a revolver, it offers a "different" type of challenge.

Are any of us any less the hunter if we choose to hunt with firearms or bows instead of the daggers and spears used by the more "traditionl" hunters?

Many states offer "handgun" only hunts that specify the use of straight walled cases, yet many other states make those who choose to hunt with short-rifles to hunt with the rifle hunters.

Isn't it all about the challenge, that we as humans, being individual enough to choose what ever particular weapon we want, to offer us the most challenge for our passions?

I submit that those of use who hunt with short-rifles aren't as "weird" as some would have us believe, we are just "different"!! As the French say, Vive la difference.

-Mr Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear you Meplat loud & clear...I have my own opinions about "short rifles" and revolvers...I shoot both of them but I also recognize them as different from each other. I also shoot traditional as well as "modern" archery...they both have their place and would love to get into blackpowder also. I try not to compare/contrast these methods too much although I recognize their differences.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<short243>
posted
I have a 44mag SRH that I have and will use, a 308 savage striker that I have and will use and a 270, 25/06 a 30/06 and a 243 that I have and will use. For the 44 and 308 I have to buy a handgun permit, extra money for the state. Now the way I see it, use what ever tool you want. The sad story of black powder inlines verses side locks should not be taking place and this rev. verses bolt or breakdowns has even less merit. JMHO...

<TomA>
posted
What if you have a post-production conversion kit for the M1911 that is a single shot .308? My friend has one and I thought him to be NUTS! Only he may be crazy but he is a damn good shot! He shot a buck at 300 meters and a skunk at 350 meters. It got some getting used to but I kinda like it. As I'm getting older I'm finding myself trying new things before I knock them & hope I never find myself doing so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i'm not taking any sides in this, i'm just going to ask one simple question:

is classification really all this important?

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
no it isn't. I have had to put away longguns since 1989 after an accident made it impossiable to hunt with them anymore. My only choice was and still is a handgun. I started with a S/W 657 in '91 traded that for my first Contender in '93 and haven't had a hunting wheel gun since until just last week when The "Green Machine" got to me. I shoot handguns in different configureations and love them all.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

<SlimL>
posted
I am going to have to agree with MePlat & Crawfish. This classification stuff is for the birds. Unless of course it is to make someone feel better than someone else. A handgun is a hundgun regardless of the cal. Although I do like the idea of being called a traditional handgun hunter when I hunt with my SRH and a modern handgun hunter with my Encore. So what do I call myself when I hunt with my Mod 57? Just for the record I usually carry my 57 or SRH and my Encore in .257 Roberts when I am hunting. Both my wheelguns have iron sights and my Encore has a 2.5 x 8 Leupold on it. Just remember though SMILES everyone. Slim

<Crawfish>
posted
SlimL,
When you hunt with that 57 you can call yourself: SMART, COOL, KNOWLEDGEABLE, and an alround FINE FELLOW. Can't say it enough
LOVE THOSE .41s'

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

one of us
posted Hide Post
I consider myself a handgun hunter, period. I only use scoped TC Contenders. They are certainly capable of extreme accuracy, but in almost all field situations they require a rest and an undisturbed, still target. If the dispute is whether what you call a "hand rifle" is more a rifle than a handgun, then I have to disagree. A Contender, like any other handgun, is inherently much more difficult to shoot accurately at game under field conditions than a rifle. If you want to classify handgun hunters, I think scoped vs. unscoped is more important than the cartridge or gun type.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
Scoped vs. Unscoped? I like that distinction also. Slim