New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt Ruger SBH Hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Today I purchased a 45 Colt Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Just thought I would share. Here is another picture:

I really like these Hunter model Rugers!

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy your new toy. I have been wanting a Bisley Hunter. Besure to let us know how it performs.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
David, I've been eyeballing one of these since they came out. I would cut mine back to 5 1/2" though, easily done w/ that dovetailed front sight. Now if they only made it in .45colt!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Swede44mag:

I've got NIB Bisley hunter for sale, of you're interested - 44 mag. Rings, etc. (NOT the same gun as the marked one I posted a pic of.) Just thought I'd mention it...

David:

I've been eyeing those 45s up - if they had the Bisley grip I would have been all over it. Maybe that will be a special run next year...

Nice gun - those Hunters are capable of pretty good accuracy. I've worked some more loads up in my 41 Bisley Hunter using 296 and 155s w/210 Rem JSP - about 0.75" at 25 yds for 5 shots - I'm pleased. Have fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fredj338,
They do make it in 45 Colt. That is what I have pictured above. There are less than 60 left at the distributor - Lipsey's located here Baton Rouge. I think this was a run of 500 exclusively for Lipsey's.

9.3x62,
I am hoping the special run for next year will be a 5 shot model in 480 Ruger. Bisley grip or not, does not matter to me.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Quote:

I am hoping the special run for next year will be a 5 shot model in 480 Ruger.

Yes, that would be even better, for sure! I'm a bit surprised they have been so pokey about getting out 5-shooters and/or putting out the 480 is a SA. Oh well...

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Whoh David I completely missed the .45colt markings. I've got to get one of these!!!! ThAt's what I get for surfin the net @ 1am!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Whoh David I completely missed the .45colt markings. I've got to get one of these!!!! ThAt's what I get for surfin the net @ 1am!

Dealers may have some, but the Distributor only has less than 60 left. Better hurry if you want one.

David

<9.3x62>
posted
David:

Let us know how it shoots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well 9.3x62,

This is the second 45 Hunter I have purchased. The first one shoots great. If my memory serves me, the last time it was shot on paper (~3 weeks ago) it shot about 1.5" at 25 yards with sub-quality bullets I cast from an experimental alloy that is too hard.

Both 45 Hunters have exceptional lock up for rugers and both have very little cosmetic flaws.

The one thing I do not like about the last Hunter I purchased is the rear sight notch is .140" wide. I like .110" best, but can live with the standard .125" wide notch. The .140" notch is not acceptable, so I am waiting for my sight to come in from Millett.

I will also be doing some filing and polishing to remove the creep from the trigger and also lighten the trigger return springs.

I also plan to sight this gun in using a 360 grain bullet from a mold I have ordered from Dan at Mountainmolds.com. I will probably shoot some 300 grainers while I wait, but I won't be happy about it!

But when I do shoot it I will give yall the details!!

David

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
David, who was the dist. that has these for sale?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lipsey's here in Baton Rouge.

wwww.lipseys.com

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great SBH Hunter, David. I think that will be the first revolver I buy when I go back to the States (in 44 though). That way I'll have a platform to put my 2x Leupold on.

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun, David. How come you get all the good stuff and I just keep gettin older and uglier?

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote