New
Find
Notify
Tools

460 S&W on feral hogs/deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know what you have taken and the performance/damage report. I haven't used my on anything yet. Hope to soon..

Posts: 55 | Location: Wichita Ks. area | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
Well all I can compare is my .454 hog. He was shot broadside, ran 3 feet and dropped dead. 255lbs, round went completely through.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well.. i guest no one has killed anything with their 460 yet. Thanks for the reply gentleman jack. I also shoot the 454 and 45 colt rounds in my 460.

Posts: 55 | Location: Wichita Ks. area | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Sure gave it hell today, but alas, no pig has yet to fall from the new 460. boohoo

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
LOL, just be patient. When you finally do get one, it will be that much more enjoyable.

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guys I will have to wait until Dec 07 to get my chance. I'm heading to Georgia to hunt. Have two areas to hunt on the river. Last trip in 04 was less than perfect. Saw a total of 4.. about 80 to 90lb range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a wsome place i GA to go to send me a pm.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
700 nitro I send you my email by pm.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
bob300wsm:
Have you set off any more car alarms lately testing loads for your 460?
The 460 is truly an earth shaking experience. sofa

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swede,
You make me wonder if I did the right thing buying a 460 S&W. Wink
How does its recoil compare to that of the .44 mag?

JBoutfishing,

Are there any good places around Redding or Red Bluff for piggies?
I need to try out my new toy also.

BTW, whatever happened to that rifle project we were talking about quite a while ago?

Herb

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herb D:
Swede,
You make me wonder if I did the right thing buying a 460 S&W. Wink
How does its recoil compare to that of the .44 mag?

JBoutfishing,

Are there any good places around Redding or Red Bluff for piggies?
I need to try out my new toy also.

BTW, whatever happened to that rifle project we were talking about quite a while ago?

Herb

I have shot bob300wsm S&W 360 it is fun to shoot and depending on the bullet weight and how fast you are pushing it I believe it kicks harder than my Dan Wesson 44mag. Better have ear plugs and muffs both on to protect your hearing. I will have to stick to my Raging Bull 454 for now. Bob did have a 460 barrel for his TC Encore and it was brutal.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I plan on following your advice on plugs and muffs as I don't want that ear ringing to get any louder.

Herb

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shooting tat extreme velocity round needs lots of protections especially if u don't wanna lost hearing at old age!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't visit this sight very much. But I lurk a little. I couldn't help but dig up this thread. I have a .460 and hunt with it. I've only used it for two seasons now and have killed two blacktails and an elk with it. The gun is loud, it kicks like a mule, it's not for everyone but it will plain put the smackdown on America's big game animals. Here's a blacktail meat buck I killed last week. It was a 65 yard quartering shot. It dropped stone dead. The gun isn't for everybody. But I like it.

Cheers. Joe

Posts: 48 | Location: About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23) | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Joe! thumb What load were you using?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the factory 200 gr.

What part of Virginia are you from. I retired from there (Manassas area) and moved here to get away from traffic and to fish for salmon. Use to kill three or more whitetails out of my veggy garden every fall. Nothing like that here. We have bigger deer but a lot fewer. The occational elk makes up the difference.

Posts: 48 | Location: About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23) | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Joe, I live in Northern Virginia (just a stone's throw from the District) -- unfortunately no hunting in the region.

Joe, how does the .460 shoot heavy bullet? Have you tried any over 300 grains?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot the 200 gr thusfar. I may play around with different loads during the off season.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted, please! It's such a new round/gun combo that not a lot of experimentation has taken place that I'm aware of (of course I may be wrong!!). Congratulations again!!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well guys, Looks like i will get to try my 460 on some hogs Nov 10 in Ardmore Ok. I will be taking pictures for you guys. Will need help to post them when i return. I smell BACON!!!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Excellent, Bob! Looking forward to the pictures and report! The easiest thing to do is to open a photobucket account (it's free!) and they are really easy to use even for someone as technologically challenged as myself..... Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

posted Hide Post
Here is one i got last Sunday morning,.460,395 gr.cast performance hand loaded to corbons specs.Shoots 1516 out of mine.Farmland in creek bottoms,no fences,no leases,no pay,just spot and stalk.

Posts: 1 | Location: lawton,oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Great job, Craig!! Sounds like one hell-of-a load!

Semper Fidelis