THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Scoped Super Redhawk-What load and zero range?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoped Super Redhawk-What load and zero range?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm not a handgun hunter, but I recently starting loading for my dad's Super Redhawk in 44Mag. Today at the range I shot a .8" 5-shot group at 25 yards with 180gr Sierras ahead of 28.0gr of W296 and Federal mag primers. The best 240gr group was only 1.4" with 23.0gr of W296. 23.5gr opened up the group another .001" and 24.0gr opened up the 240gr group to 2.05". I haven't chronographed these loads yet but I'm betting their probably close to what the books show. I think my previous loads with H-110 were probably a little faster, but the best 180gr group I got with H-110 was 1.35", and 240gr loads weren't nearly as accurate in my dad's gun with H-110. There might be better loads out there, but to get any better groups than this in my dad's gun would probably require a better handgun shooter than me, but I'm open to suggestions.

My question is regarding the zero range. This is a scoped revolver. At what range should I zero this for my dad for deer hunting? Where he hunts, shots can be in close cover or as far as a handgun can shoot.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I would probably zero it at 100yds. Then shoot at 25 50 and 75 yds to see where it hits at close range. It probably won't be too high. It will start to drop off after that. One thing to think about would be if the scope has a thick post on the bottom, then sight off of the post and see where that hits zero at. This will give you an estimate for holding for elevation at longer ranges.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to sight mine 1/2" high at 50yds...a few inches low at 100, much beyond that, you better know your stuff. dvnv

Posts: 114 | Location: CA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For whitetail I'd skip anything under 240 grains, and I'm not even sure hollowpoints are a good idea. Work toward a fullpower 240 that cuts two inches at 50 and five or less at 100. I can offer no load suggestions as I'm an LBT heavy cast lead flat point sort of pistol hunter. My idea of a hunting bullet starts at 300 grains, but I know my preference is an affectation not a necessity. As others have mentioned try a 100 yard zero and learn what it takes to make a hit at 125. If the midrange trajectory is too high for your taste (especially if your deer are small or if the shots will be from an elevated stand) zero at 75 and accept a 100 yard limit. Good hunting to you and your Dad. I half look forward to the day my children start handloading for me...

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad started me handloading in 1969. I was still in high school at the time. He doesn't shoot every week like I do (except for varmints around the farm), so he doesn't load any more.

I can't imagine my dad shooting over 100 yards with his revolver. I was thinking about a 75 yard zero, so mid range trajectory wouldn't be an issue for the shots he's most likely to take.

I do appreciate the input. The really big bucks in northern Missouri can run 350-400 pounds on the hoof. I haven't started loading for any bullets heavier than 240gr yet. I really don't think he's interested in the additional recoil if the job can be done with 240 grainers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
400 pound whitetail deer?? Really?

I would not shoot a 400 pound animal with a 240 grain bullet at 100 yards. I would have to have a heavier bullet, unless it was hard-cast, but even then I would want a heavier bullet.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"400 pound whitetail deer?? Really?"

Yes, big bucks can really get that big in the northern midwest. I shot a 10 pointer in '91 that field dressed at 315lbs. The Missouri Conservation Department estimated his live weight at a little over 400 lbs. He was full of nothing but corn. Like sending cattle to a feed lot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On deer that large I would not reccomend using the 180 and 240 grain bullets.

The absolute smallest/lightest bullet I would consider is the 250 grain Gold partition from Nosler/Winchester, but I would prefer more weight at 100 yards.

Got any pictures? I would love to see them!

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Got any pictures? I would love to see them!"

No, but I do have him shoulder mounted. My kids got me a digital camera for my 50th birthday, but I still haven't figured out how to get pictures from it loaded into the computer and on-line (computer skills are not among my strong suits). He only netted 147 1/8 B&C, but the 10 point rack is very symmetrical and good looking. I've got a 160 1/8 B&C rack downstairs from a buck I tagged two years later (23" inside spread). He was a big bruiser too (most northern Missouri 10 pointers are pretty good size), but his body was nowhere near as big as this one. His face looks older than most bucks I see mounted, but the Conservation Department told me he was only a 4 1/2 year old. The smallest part of his neck (just below the head) measures just under 26".

one of us
posted Hide Post
SST, I go along with everyone else. I use the LBT 320 gr. WLNGC and 21.5 grs. of 296 with the Federal STANDARD 150 large pistol primer. Sight in at 75 yds. This is good from 10 yds to past 100 yds.
I am from Ohio and have seen deer up to 420 pounds. The average weight of bucks taken in the early muzzle loader areas was 240#.
I have taken a pile of deer with the .44, .45 and 45-70 revolvers the past few years and the killing power of the LBT's has to be seen to be believed. I would not even consider a condom bullet for hunting anymore.
By the way, I have a coke can with a hole dead center, shot at 200 yds. with my Super Redhawk and this load.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like a heavier LBT is the way to go. Unfortunately, I need to get the Super Redhawk back to my dad tonight, with everything I've got loaded for him.. I'll see him at a wedding this evening. I don't have time to work up any more loads for him at this point, but maybe later. He wants the revolver back ASAP since he's encountered a mountain lion on the farm. He wants a little more pop than he gets from his .22.

Thanks, again! You guys have been great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sight mine at +2.5" at 50 yards, puts it less than 2" low at 100. 240g XTP, 24g 296 yields 1361fps/987fp

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote