New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canned hunting - what is it?
 Login/Join

<Bush baby>
posted
What in your mind constitutes canned hunting, what criteria need to be in place before you go �that�s a canned hunt�? Is it property size, wildness of the game or what?
This follows on from my post for a Buffalo hunt that I was advertising for on the Africa forum.

Bush baby

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
To me, and this is just my opinion, a canned hunt would be one where the following criteria would ALL have to be present. First of all, the animals are fenced in. This by itself does not make a canned hunt, but it is a major criteria to me. Second would be where the animals are more densely populated within the fenced area than they would be in the wild, thereby increasing the chances for the "hunter" to see game. Next would be that the animals are not "wild," but due to the fact that they are overpopulated for the land size, they are then fed by the operators because there are too many animals for the land to support. So, you see a fenced in area were the animals are fending for themselves, and of a population that is supported by the land would not meet MY definition of a canned hunt. Nor would animals that are free roaming but being lured in with feeders be a canned hunt to me. But, fence in the area, put more animals in than the land can support, and then suppliment the animals with regular feedings where the animals are now dependent upon humans for food, then that to me would be a "canned" hunt.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote