New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Weight or Velocity
 Login/Join

<Neil>
posted
Without getting into all the fancy formulas on inertia and bullet weight and radius dynamics which will cause the most damage to the target in the real world...Should I be concerned about working up really fast velocity in a lite bullet or push a really heavy bullet at a much lower speed.. we can't have it both ways in a six shooter..I know the degree of cavitation varies directly with the velocity of the bullet which would cause destruction at a great distance around the actual bullet track...

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Icky as it is, some of the best data on bullet damage comes from experience treating people wounded in war.

All other factors equal, a big fat bullet does more tissue damage. A small fast bullet causes tissue just outside the wound channel to stretch elastically, from which it recovers better than being crushed by a fat, heavy, blunt bullet.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
I don't know about not having it both ways. I have a 240 gr SWC going 1425 out of a 7 1/2 barrelled SRH. I know it's not a real heavy weight but it ain't a light weight either. But yes a big fat slower bullet is better than a light faster bullets. Within reason of course. A 700 fps 320 gr bullet will not work as well as a 1400 fps 240 gr bullet. SlimL

<PaulS>
posted
Depending on caliber the heavier the bullet the more extensive the permanent damage. The limiting factor is that you must maintain enough TERMINAL velocity to penetrate through the vitals for a good chance at killing cleanly with a single shot. There is no magic number for what this velocity should be but there is a formula that Ed Matunas came up with that tells you the approximate weight for an animal that you should be able to kill cleanly with CONTROLLED expansion bullets. He calls it the OGW formula (Optimal Game Weight) but you don't have to calculate anything - just get a copy of the "Lyman's 47th Edition Reloading Handbook" and turn to the article and look for the tables.
Now I want to add that I have no gain from either the book or Ed's article. I worked some math years ago trying to find a way to correlate the results that I observed in animals and through the use of my "Fackler Box" when testing loads. I came up with a bit different approach that comes very close to Ed's results - VERY CLOSE. I can't say that I have shot, written, or am as accepted as Mr. Matunas but it is gratifying to see that someone of his reputation has similar calculations to find a way to approximate the single shot lethality of hunting ammunition.

PaulS

------------------
stay safe and live long!

<Paul Dustin>
posted
Neil

If you have a 44 Mag you can have it both ways. 240gr XTP N110 22.5gr FED. 150 primer
1640 fps out of a 7 1/2 bbl or 300gr hard lead bullet N110 19.4gr FED. 150 Primer 1495 fps out of 7 1/2 bbl. this is out of my Ruger
SRH

<Neil>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Dustin:
Neil

If you have a 44 Mag you can have it both ways. 240gr XTP N110 22.5gr FED. 150 primer
1640 fps out of a 7 1/2 bbl or 300gr hard lead bullet N110 19.4gr FED. 150 Primer 1495 fps out of 7 1/2 bbl. this is out of my Ruger
SRH

Thanks for all the useful information to you paul and sliml.. over the pass week I've worked up a load for my Ruger Blackhawk 45 Long Colt with a 7 1/2" barrel it goes like this..300GR JSP Sierra bullet with 6%antimony case pushed by 12.3gr of Unique with a 350 CCI primer.... its a real handful..someday I'll probably wise up and buy a 44 mag and use off the shelf ammo but for now when I'm camping in grizzly country the old colt feels pretty good hanging under my arm...Thanks again for all the good advice...you all stay safe
Neil

[This message has been edited by Neil (edited 08-29-2001).]

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A good question, but IMHO, you cannot properly choose a load combo if you ignore the game you are hunting. Personally, I think a handgun load should be capable of exiting, so choose a bullet heavy enough to exit the game you are going to hunt, and push it as fast as you want.

Now that I'm smitten with the 480, I've settled on moderate velocities, as that is where mine shoots best with cast bullets. I push 310's 1250, 390's 1170, and 435's 1100. I don't think there would be a decernible difference between the 390's and 435's on large game, and I'd take the much milder recoil from the 310's for whitetails.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Neil>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
snip.........

I push 310's 1250, 390's 1170, and 435's 1100. I don't think there would be a decernible difference between the 390's and 435's on large game, and I'd take the much milder recoil from the 310's for whitetails. [/b]

Paul
I feel my 300Gr soft point jacketed round is probably within the same perimeters as your 310Gr loads....If nothing else, the muzzle blast will panic the hell out of what ever I'm aiming at.
Neil

[This message has been edited by Neil (edited 09-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Neil (edited 09-05-2001).]