THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    Good starting resource for handgun hunting

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good starting resource for handgun hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While I have been deer hunting for 23 years and have bowhunted for the past 7 , I am brand spanking new to handgun hunting. I have no idea where to start- what gear to buy (other than the SBH Hunter model in .44 that I got yesterday); how to store my handgun while hunting (ie- do you keep it in a holster, and if so, what kind); what type of bullets to use for deer; etc. Is there a good, singular resource that I can use to educate me. I know that much of my education will inherently be in the field, but I'd like to get some help on the starters from somewhere. Any books, guides, etc. would be great. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
I'll try a bigass flying leap at this. Your SBH Hunter is a decent choice, I'm assuming ya got a good deal. Since it's a long barrel revolver, get a good shoulder holster that has wide support bands for your shoulders and stay well away from the single strap elastic band shoulder holsters as they will fatigue you quickly and cut off some circulation. Also, stay from hip holsters as everytime you sit down it'll just push up and catch on everything. A simple lockable carrying case will suffice for transport. Of course, there'll be differing opinions on this, but for me; long barrels in a shoulder holster and 5.5" or shorter in a strong side hip holster.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I also hunt with long barreled revolvers and a shoulder holster is the only way to go IMHO. I have a cheap Uncle Mike's nylon unit and it works like a charm and doesn't get uncomfortable to carry on long hunts.

While we all have our preferences, I prefer heavy hardcast bullets. While some will tell you that you don't need real heavy bullets for deer, I prefer to find a good load your gun likes and stick with it. Heavy non-expanding bullets penetrate well and are not as sensitive to the different angles presented.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Whitworth on both counts. I carry most of my hunting handguns in Uncle Mikes nylon bandolier holsters. I tried the sling thing and didn't like the gun swinging around and couldn't keep an eye on the optics. It always tied up one hand trying to keep it from swinging. Hip holsters were just too big and wore me out. The bandoliers come with wide straps and distribute the weight nicely across your chest plus their relatively cheap and protect well. They're easy to clean up and virtually weather proof and indestructible. They also fit one than one style of gun or barrel length.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Along with the good advice on the holster, I would say try to buy some cheap ammo in bulk and spend a lot of time at the range or in the field just getting " to know " the gun. I did the same with my 9mm and .454 and I think it helps out a lot.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The shoulder holster is the way but one thing I did was to remove the velcro. Too noisy! I put a strap with snaps on to keep it closed.
I also use the 6 foot utility sling that Midsouth sells and just put it on the butt. I sit in a tree stand a lot and the sling gives me piece of mind and allows me to push out against it when shooting offhand.
The sling and shoulder holster work well together.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See if you can find metallic silhouette matches ,a great way to practice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that this forum and others like it may be the best place to start. The wealth of knowledge and experience in this group is amazing. Also, checkout Handgun Hunters International.

As far as equipment goes, trial and error is the way I learned. Take the advice that the people here give you. Then go try a little of everything. I've tried slings, shoulder holsters, strong side and cross draw belt holsters, and bandolier holsters. What I use depends on the hunting conditions of the day, the gun that comes with me, and just what kind of mood I'm in.

Will the gun be scoped or not? This determines what bullets I use in my guns. For iron sights at short range (under 50yds) where trajectory isn't a real concern I like heavy for caliber hard cast bullets. If the gun is scoped for longer range use I like the flatter trajectory of a slightly lighter bullet like a Partition.

Having said all of that, I've never actually shot anything bigger that a porcupine with a handgun. But I've found that the preparation is part of the fun.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks. I think that testing different gear out will be part of the fun. My Ruger should be in tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to doing some plinking this weekend. I'm sure I'll have some more questions down the road.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
THat's great! Interested in hearing your impressions when you shoot it. Post up some photos when you take delivery..........

thumb

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an El Paso Saddlery 1942 Tanker shoulder holster. This is a fine piece of equipment, and reasonable priced at just under $100 bucks. I am also a fan of heavy, hard cast bullets. My preference is Cast Performance brand with gas checks. Last fall I shot a record book black bear with 325 grain bullets out of my Dan Wesson .44 mag. Two shots to the front of his shoulder were recovered under the hide at the back of the hind quarter. Basically complete end to end penetration on a bear that weighed over #500. He didn't take a single step.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a potent load, Cobrab! Have you chronographed it? I would be curious as to how fast you are pushing it. I use a 320 grain WFN.

Semper Fidelis