Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for Contender in .45-70
 Login/Join

posted
I bought a Super 16 Contender new back in '94. I've run Garrett 420 gr. Hammerheads at 1,650 out of the gun for years. Recoil is noticeable, to say the least. I don't know much about ballistics, but I've always wondered if those loads are too hot for the gun.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Too hot on the hand, maybe. I don't know how you can stand a Contender with the load. I shoot heavy loads from revolvers but Contenders hurt my fingers.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've always thought of it as pretty bone-jarring, but after reading about guys with 458s and 416s in SSPs, I'll stop complaining.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think those are fine to run out of a Contender. I would avoid anything rated as +P out of the Contender though. You take the risk of stretching the frame. I traded my 45-70 Contender barrel off for an Encore when I decided that I needed more power than the Level 2 loads would give me.

Now, in an Encore, I think that your wrists are the only limiting factor.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I normally run between the Trapdoor and 1895 load range. Plenty of power for anything I'll be hunting with it.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.