THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    What bullets for big game hunting with a .454?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What bullets for big game hunting with a .454?
 Login/Join

<Al Smith>
posted
I just ordered a .454 and was wondering what bullets everyone would recommend for hunting big game (deer and larger). I don't plan on reloading as of yet so I'm looking shells that I can just buy over the counter.

Thank you for the input,

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Smith (edited 08-11-2001).]

<10point>
posted
I'd like to resurrect this thread as I am completely unsure as to what to load for zebra/wildebeast/Elk size animal's.

Does anyone have any idea's for game larger then deer ?.....thanx........10

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Out of my FA 454 I shoot a 355 gr. LBT WFNGC bullet at 1693 fps. It is a fine close range round capable of taking anything up close, but keep the range to 50 yards or less. That bullet loses steam quickly. Starting out at over 2000 ft-lbs it is down to 800 by 100 yards. For OTC ammo, Garrett and Cor-Bon offer some pretty hot loads.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<10point>
posted
BB how have you found accuracy has been with those cast bullets ?....thanx....10

<Dr. John>
posted
Al.
If you do not reload check out Corbon Ammunition. They have a great selection on 454 casull ammo. everything from lighter loads to the heavy 360 grain penetrator loads for the big stuff. I myself have a box of the 360 grainers, but haven't shot it yet. for hunting whitetail this fall I will be using the Winchester ammo using the 260gr partition bullet. everything I have read on this round indicates that it is an outstanding round. winchester also sells ammo with a 260gr bullet which is basically the same as the original Freedom Arms, from what I am told. I really don't think you will have any trouble hunting whitetail with just about of the ammo that is out there. the 454 loads are pretty rugged. by the way...what handgun are you using. myself I have the Ruger Super Redhawk. Love it.