New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need a .45 Colt?
 Login/Join

posted
Salutations everyone,

I recently purchased one of the Ruger Bisley Flattop revolvers in .44 special and am planning to use it as a woods carry gun and also to hunt with it if an opportunity presents itself while rifle hunting. My plan is to work up a field load as close to the old Elmer Keith load as possible (250 hard cast @1200 fps). This should yield a little over 800 ft lbs. of muzzle energy.

I also currently own an old model Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt and was planning to sell it to fund a Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt since it has adjustable sights and would be stainless for better durability in inclement weather. As much as I love collecting firearms I don't have a great deal of cash very often to make purchases and I am wondering if a .45 Colt would be redundant if I already own a .44 Special. Buffalo Bore lists a .45 Colt load that launches a 325 gr hard cast at over 1300 fps. This yields nearly 1300 ft lbs at the muzzle.

Will this make a practical difference when hunting game up to 500 lbs at ranges under 100 yards? Do you think there would be a discernible difference in performance in a charge stopping situation? Thanks for your thoughts!

Posts: 1 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 30 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Western Picker:
Salutations everyone,

I am wondering if a .45 Colt would be redundant if I already own a .44 Special.
NO

Buffalo Bore lists a .45 Colt load that launches a 325 gr hard cast at over 1300 fps. This yields nearly 1300 ft lbs at the muzzle.
Will this make a practical difference when hunting game up to 500 lbs at ranges under 100 yards? Do you think there would be a discernible difference in performance in a charge stopping situation?
YES
Thanks for your thoughts!

Huge step in performamnce when the 45 Colt is loaded to its potential.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .45 Colt is several steps up the food chain over the .44 Special.

I wouldn't get too hung up on muzzle energy as it is merely a calculated number and doesn't have basis in the real world. Muzzle energies are used to sell bigger and better cartridges. You want to consider momentum, and when you get bullet weight and diameter working for you it gets good.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No you do not Need a 45 colt.

I gave up needing a different gun many guns ago.

It is all want.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
The .45 Colt is several steps up the food chain over the .44 Special.

I wouldn't get too hung up on muzzle energy as it is merely a calculated number and doesn't have basis in the real world. Muzzle energies are used to sell bigger and better cartridges. You want to consider momentum, and when you get bullet weight and diameter working for you it gets good.

This.

Everyone "needs" a .45 Colt. Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 45 Colt...but in a Pedersoli reproduction gun that is suitable only for standard pressure loads. My question, which has already been answered here probably about a 1000 times, is:
If I were to have a modern Ruger Single Action in 45 Colt, what is the go to loading for deer and hog and the like? Am I looking at a hard cast SWC at something like 1200-1400 FPS and just calling it a day? Any other options to consider? Hope I didn't hijack a thread here, but, seems like a good point to ask this question. Regards.

Posts: 97 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I got my 44mag I could then hunt deer with a handgun ! I wondered ,with all the load it hot types commenting .
One of the first deer I got was hit diagonally , bone ,opening to .50 cal, with total path of about 30".That with a mear 225gr, old JSWCHP speer @ 1250 fps! Only bullet I recovered .
" Say is that possible ?" No bark or bite just does it's job !
wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For deer or regular-sized hogs, a 250-grain flat-pointed lead or jacketed bullet at 1000-1100 is plenty. More is usually unecessary and only recoils and barks more.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you need a 45 Colt? If you don't have one, you do. A 250 grain Keith style bullet will penetrate front to back of the skull and nearly four feet down the neck of a black Angus bull. 850 fps gets the job done. A Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt is my back up sidearm for hunting--it is the Real Deal.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 45 Colt is my favorite handgun caliber out there. I own three Ruger Blackhawks and one Rossi 1892 lever action carbine in the Colt. It is a joy to shoot, easy to find loads, and large bullet selection for them.
If you're not a reloader then it might not be the cheapest round to purchase but it's not the most expensive either. If you look online for quality hunting ammo you will find that all calibers are pretty close in price. Cowboy plinking ammo isn't to badly priced either.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your old model Vaquero is as good as it gets for a woods walking hand gun. Get one load adjust the front sight to hit to point of aim and just be done and done. It is light and handy.

You can make up shot cartridges for snakes and fun shooting. round nose bullets will not destroy edible meat on little stuff. Hollow point bullets will give you quick kills on deer and the hard solids will shoot thru pretty much anything you can hit with it.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And a 5 shot cylinder 45 Colt is the cats ass.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:

Or one with a six-shot oversized cylinder!

Woodrow -- check your PMs.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:

Love my FA 97--
one heck of a walk around camp gun

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnn
posted Hide Post
I already had a 5 1/2" old model Ruger Vaquero

However, when I spotted this 4 5/8" SS Convertable at a local gun show, I couldn't resist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm wearing a S & W mountain gun as I type--45 Colt, modified to shoot 45 ACP w/ moon clips.
Did I need it ? What does need have to do w/ it ?
With the 2 legged AND 4 legged obozo supporters hanging around, it just feels right AND is a whole lot of fun at the dump. Makes nice BIG holes ! If I happen to encounter some 'organic' meat while filling feeders, it will work great there too !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Yes you do.
Johny Walker did,nt stop at Red, there,s no good reason to stop at .44.

Course, I quit drinking years ago, can,t recall if I ever drank the stuff. Never was much for Scotch, tended to to stick to tequila...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Everyone needs one, it's a classic.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes! And if you already have one, you need another one...

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
Yes! And if you already have one, you need another one...

I couldn't agree more!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
YES; everyone needs a .45 Colt, and that is all they have needed, since 1873; they just didn't realize it and went ahead and invented all kinds of lesser useful revolver cartridges.
Get one.
Wait, get more than one; I have several from Rugers to Colts, to Ubertis, to S&W Schofield; etc.

Posts: 17166 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't really offer anything other than an echo of what's already been posted.

I have the same, a Ruger Flattop 44 Special and could honestly be happy with it if I were forced to have just one handgun. Even in Alaska. However, the Ruger Bisley 45 Colt offers you a platform of performance the 44 Special will never attain. Coupled with a 300-325 grain wide long nose or wide flat nose, it takes handgun performance places the 44 Special can never go. And it doesn't mind throttling back to original levels for those times when you don't want or need Thor's hammer.

I have a couple. Both Rugers. One a four inch Redhawk and the other a 7.5 inch Bisley that one day soon will get clipped to 5.5 inches.

Do you need a 45 Colt? Only you can answer that but it would be a dull world if we were restricted to just one handgun.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think this is a trick question.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
I think this is a trick question.

Haha! You're probably right!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Western Picker:
Salutations everyone,

I recently purchased one of the Ruger Bisley Flattop revolvers in .44 special and am planning to use it as a woods carry gun and also to hunt with it if an opportunity presents itself while rifle hunting. My plan is to work up a field load as close to the old Elmer Keith load as possible (250 hard cast @1200 fps). This should yield a little over 800 ft lbs. of muzzle energy.

I also currently own an old model Ruger Bisley Vaquero in .45 Colt and was planning to sell it to fund a Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt since it has adjustable sights and would be stainless for better durability in inclement weather. As much as I love collecting firearms I don't have a great deal of cash very often to make purchases and I am wondering if a .45 Colt would be redundant if I already own a .44 Special. Buffalo Bore lists a .45 Colt load that launches a 325 gr hard cast at over 1300 fps. This yields nearly 1300 ft lbs at the muzzle.

Will this make a practical difference when hunting game up to 500 lbs at ranges under 100 yards? Do you think there would be a discernible difference in performance in a charge stopping situation? Thanks for your thoughts!

Ruger also makes a 454 Bisley that will shoot your probably to hot 45 colt loads you have listed. And before anyone says anything I have a new 7.5 inch Stainless Steel 45 colt Blackhawk that I would not consider shooting 1300fps loads.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Swede, your .45 Colt Blackhawk will handle .45 Colt +P loads with aplomb.

Semper Fidelis

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
do you need a 45 colt? yes.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! I have both the Ruger Hunter models-The standard and the Bisley and a FA 83 Premier. They are all simply wonderful.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
YES
Everyone needs 1 or 3! [IMG]http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv247/Larimfire/30EB2285-3AF0-436A-B651-4FA27A90BD94-1145-000000B2E3C28CB6_zpsb10d05f0.jpg"> [/IMG]

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That gets us back to the age old question "what's NEED have to do with it?"I am a .44 fan as well but I still have a few .45 L.C.'s in the barn.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've put hard cast 250gr SWC's clear thru a 10" pine tree at 30 feet loaded with 20gr H110.
I have massive wrists and big hands. The recoil busts my knuckles with the trigger guard. I found a box full of Hogue rubber grips that filled in that space and tames the recoil enough it don't hurt my wrist or hands either one.

Since then I've gone to 330gr Hammerheads with the same charge. That's a full five grains under max. Tell you what, before blowing smoke about 1300fps loads and 330gr slugs you NEED to shoot a few dozen loaded that way! Knowing I can't handle what Whit shoots in his hand cannon's I stick with what I can handle, yet are still plumb powerful.

Since I had two combo: 9mm/.357's and always wanted to try a .40S/W in a revolver I turned a Green Mtn barrel last summer and had the 9mm cyl bored out for the .40. It's a sweet shooter, tame recoil really fairly light, blast is decent though. I'm wanting to come up with a bit warmer load for it since it's in a 7 1/2" Blackhawk. I figure the light 175gr slug is much of why it feels like a light load. Sure is a sweet shooter though.

YES, IF you don't have a .45 Colt you do need one.

Had an old retired sheriff tell me some years ago: "IF you can't do it with a modern Blackhawk in .45 Colt, you'd better get a rifle".

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5955 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I only own a 45 a.c.p. right now, I'm always looking for a good deal on a Blackhawk. I have owned and sold 4 all in .44. I'll find one in 45 when preparation meets opportunity. Whitworth that revolver is gorgeous Where did you get the grips?

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels
Whitworth that revolver is gorgeous Where did you get the grips?

I believe they are custom made to fit Whit's perfectly. Made by Jack Huntington (JRH Advanceted Gunsmithing) They are made from a tracing of your hand Jack does an excellent job IMHO

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell you what, before blowing smoke about 1300fps loads and 330gr slugs you NEED to shoot a few dozen loaded that way! Knowing I can't handle what Whit shoots in his hand cannon's I stick with what I can handle, yet are still plumb powerful.

I haven't shot it in a while, but I used to load my own hard cast 325s ahead of 25 grains of WC 820 (use H110 load data) and shoot them out of my FA Casull. It was quite a handful, and I soon learned the reason there was a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips in the box along with those gorgeous micartas!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
Originally posted by dwheels
Whitworth that revolver is gorgeous Where did you get the grips?

I believe they are custom made to fit Whit's perfectly. Made by Jack Huntington (JRH Advanceted Gunsmithing) They are made from a tracing of your hand Jack does an excellent job IMHO

This. JRH made them for me and they are perfect for my hand.

Semper Fidelis