Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 casull and 250 xtp
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Freedom Arms sold 260 grain bullets designed for their revolvers. Mike, I believe you are thinking about the 240 XTPs. To the best of my knowledge, 260 grain XTPs in .45 caliber do not exist.

And yes, the jackets are heavier on the 260 grain FA bullets.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
Freedom Arms sold 260 grain bullets designed for their revolvers. Mike, I believe you are thinking about the 240 XTPs. To the best of my knowledge, 260 grain XTPs in .45 caliber do not exist.

And yes, the jackets are heavier on the 260 grain FA bullets.

Exactly...........The 260's that were moving in excess of 1700FPS were FA bullets..........

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
I agree; 200 fps isn't going to make a tremendous difference. The main use of a chronograph is for working up loads to prevent overcharging of a powder.

I usually use the chrony to check the Std Dev between shots to make sure the powder/bullet combo is stable. It is hard to judge pressure by velocity, but you do know that if your velocity is over the published amount, you are definately in trouble. I will agree the XTPs are not designed for the 45kPSI or greater handguns. The best source of info would be Hornady themselves, when in doubt, call customer service. The other beauty of the 454 is downloading it 20% will knock the crap out of anything in North America under 100 yards.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
True enough, but I've had loads with dismal statistical numbers shoot well out to the ram line.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that I got confused with the nosler 260 gr bullets. ( a senior moment)
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scr83jp:
When I read about the cautions regarding use of certain thin jacketed bullets in 454 casull & 460 mag I contacted techs with the bullet companies and they said their cautions were for revolvers shedding jackets .It doesn't apply to my 15" & 20" encore barrels with no forcing cones.

That point was made ealer in the thread...... thumb

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
Originally posted by scr83jp:
When I read about the cautions regarding use of certain thin jacketed bullets in 454 casull & 460 mag I contacted techs with the bullet companies and they said their cautions were for revolvers shedding jackets .It doesn't apply to my 15" & 20" encore barrels with no forcing cones.

That point was made ealer in the thread...... thumb
Didn't see it my mistake!

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Not a problem and looking back,I think that it was a good idea that you brought out that point again.......... thumb

- Winston Churchill