Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Help!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
So I went out and shot my new .454! What a blast! Literally!!!

I love shooting and having all the other shooters look over like "man that thing is loud", or "holy $3$@#" !

So I think I want to go ahead and get a scope on this Super Redhawk. The gun came with rings but I am unsure with what will fit in the rings. What have ya'll used?

Im thinking you dont want too much power in the scope otherwise it may get a little shakey when holding up on an animal.

But for the range report, at 50 yards the 25lb metal chickens will flip 3 or 4 times before hitting the ground....and that made the purchase worth it in my book. Big Grin

Im thinking my hog hunting expeditions should get quite interesting in one of our bow blinds with this pistol.

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a blast to shoot! I used a 4 power but after watching a rutting buck run around under my stand at dusk, I when with an EO Tech red dot. (I just could not see the cross hairs at dawn and dusk.) It handles the recoil just fine, although it is a little large. If I were to put another scope on it I would go with the 2x. P.S.-If most of your hunting is not a dawn and dusk, I would stay with the scope. (I used a leupold fixed power 4x)

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Hi Bmash!

Thanks for the reply! I plan on ordering a scope tonight I think...along with a bunch of ammo for the new toy Big Grin

Could you post a link of which 2x pistol scopes will fit the Ruger factory rings?

I dont plan on this pistol taking the position of my rifles, but for a fun toy and hogs/rabbits/silhouette shooting I would like to have the scope on there

Thanks

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
The top one is what im looking at

What do you think about this scope? Will it fit?

One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
Any scope with a 1" tube will fit your rings(which are pretty solid, by the way). I started with a Leupold 2x on my .454 and was satisfied until handgun hunting became my primary means of procuring game. Since then, I've upgraded to a more versitile Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x32. Light transmition is awesome and the scope easily stands up to heavy recoil (1000+ hot loads and counting).

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2X and 4X mounted on my S&W 500's and they've held up just fine.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys!

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I "needed" to scope my FA 475 to ease its passage through SA en route to Zim, I called Freedom Arms and asked what scope they recommended.

They recommended the Bushnell 2-7 Variable.

I have shot it a little and it works just fine.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have a bausch&lomb elite 2x7 variable on my FA 454 and it works fine- has held up well with no recoil issues

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Bugle -- finally blooded my .454 SRH this weekend on a hog...... Big Grin Wow is all I am allowed to say before I post the hunting report this evening on the hog hunting forum!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO or .02 I like the Burris 2x-7x with parallex adjustment. I have two of them one on a contender in 375Win. and one on a encore in 7mmBR. They have a nice wide field of view at 2x and you can still crank it up to 7x. Buy the way the 375Win with 10" barrel is pushing a hornady 220gr at 2074FPS. and holds it point of impact with no problem. Doc Highwall

Posts: 40 | Location: Enfield CT. | Registered: 21 April 2007Reply With Quote