THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    load for 16" .223rem Contender?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

load for 16" .223rem Contender?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone suggest a load for a contender with a 16" barrel in .223rem?
I just picked up a G2 and would also like to know if the trigger can be tuned like the old Contender models. What difference is there between the G2 and the older model?

Thanks.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As close as I can tell the G2 is essentially a Contender-sized Encore action. Both appear to use a variation on the lock developed for the Scout pistol. Sharing a similar lockwork design one wouldn't expect a trigger as nice as the real Contenders there is no reason it can't be as nice a well-tuned Encore, which can be plenty good enough. As for loads I only ran factory ammo through my 16 inch 223 tube when I had it. I'd look for manuals with data for 14 inch Contenders or 15 inch Encores and cross reference them with data developed in standard barrel lengths.

One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I use 26grns of Varget with 50&55grn bullets in my 223. I've played a little with 40grn but haven't worked real serious on it.
Mines a G2, 14" barrel.
The triggers won't be as nice as the old models, but they ain't bad!
I've worked mine down pretty damn light and its a prarie dog killing machine.

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Why not try Seafire's loadings for the 223?
do a search in the Reloading section.

The reduced amount of powder should slow down the barrel heating also.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote