Find
Notify
Tools

any Coonan owners?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TheeBadOne
posted
I have a Coonan .357 autoloader that I picked up a few years ago as an investment. It had 1 clip through it and was still full of packing grease. It shot so well and was so fun it became a keeper. I wouldn't sell it for anything. Anyone else have one?

------------------
Even the strongest oak must bend to the winds of fate.

Posts: 4394 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw one last month in Houston for $850 used, and he wouldn't budge a penny.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
You guys are just pure rotten. Here I sat all dumb and happy just knowing I was covered as far as .41s' go. So what happens I see this post and say what the heck is a "Coonan", so like the monkey and the pretty in the trap I looked, isn't that long slide .41RemMag Coonan just about the prettiest thing you could lay your eyes on? Can't let go, I have to have one in 2002.
You guys are just pure rotten

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the Coonan but a 400corbon barrel on a 1911 will do the same for considerable less money.my 2cents

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
I think the 10mm comes pretty close to 357 ballistics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
stans, that's what I am hoping. I got a 10mm compact, 3.5" barrel, and I would like to see comparable muzzle energy to a 357 2" snubby. Shouldn't be hard to do and still run up to a 180gr bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gophershooter:
Nothing wrong with the Coonan but a 400corbon barrel on a 1911 will do the same for considerable less money.my 2cents

Tell me more about that 400 corbon. I have seen it mentioned but I don't know what it is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 400 corbon is a 45acp necked down to .40 cal or 10mm.All you need is the barrel regular 45 mags work.There are any number of maufacturers of barrels;Ed Brown,Jarvis,Barsto,etc. go to corbons website and there is alot of good info.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TheeBadOne
posted Hide Post
Cor-bon lists their .400 Cor-bon as launching a 165 gr bullet at 1250 fps, and 180 gr bullet at 1100 fps. A .41 mag out of a wheel gun is listed as 210 gr bullet at 1350 fps, a 250 gr bullet at 1325 fps. This is all off Cor-bon's website. As you can see, the .400 Cor-bon is a nice little hot rod, but is not in the same class of the .41 mag. The 10mm has more whop than the .357 mag in full power loads. The 10mm falls between the .357 mag & the .41 mag. Hope this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TheeBadOne (edited 01-02-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If its a bottleneck case, and these are the typical velocities, then it seems more trouble than it is worth to me. Or is it designed to get better than 40 velocity with lower pressures?

one of us
Picture of TheeBadOne
posted Hide Post
Scott, the .400 Cor-bon is designed to work in 1911 guns, period. The advantage to that is you don't need to go to the drawing board & start over with a new gun. Think of the rifle analogy of "long action" and "short action" rounds. With the .357 mag & .41 mag you have to build a brand new gun for it as the rounds are long, much longer than any other auto round. If you've held a Coonan (either caliber) you'd notice the grip is longer than what you're use to. The .400 Cor-bon fits in standard guns that have already had all the reasearch & development costs paid. A bottle neck round should be a good feeder, very reliable. I have no knowledge of what it is like to reload this round. I find it an interesting round and think it will be around for a while. It is no .41 mag, but it was never meant to be. It was designed to give 10mm like performance from a short case in pistols already out there. You can buy barrels & parts galore to convert many of your current pistols to this little hot rod. I have no knocks against it. I probably won't get one, but that's because I have calibers on either side of it so it's covered. If I didn't, I would be tempted to pick up a new barrel. Good shooting.

------------------

<stans>
posted
Of course, 45ACP (+P) 185gr exits the barrel at 1140fps, equalling .400 CorBon with only a recoil spring change recommended.

<X-Ring>
posted
Hey whats their web sight address? Like Crawfish I'm a big fan of the 41 rem mag, and would like to see their 41 mag. I have shot the Desert Eagle, I didn't care for it.
I found a sight for them but it won't come up so I think something is wrong with the address I got.
X-Ring

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

<Crawfish>
posted
Hey Scooter,
try www.dancoonan.com i found him by a search on www.google.com

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'