New
Find
Notify
Tools

starter hunting handgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a few very general questions. I am interested in trying my hand at handgun hunting. I am primarily a bowhunter, but will rifle hunt if I don't have the bow option (for what that's worth). I am fairly certain that I would like to try hunting with a revolver, versus an Encore type handgun.

Any suggestions on a good starter handgun- make, model, caliber? I would probably stick with open sights to begin with (and possibly for good). My primary prey would be whitetails. I was thinking about looking at a Ruger in .44 mag. I remember as a kid that I always liked the looks super blackhawk (or did I make that up). I realize that these are extremely general questions and I apologize for that, but I know zero about handguns. I have shot over the years and own a Glock for concealed carry, but that's about it. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Super Blackhawk is a great choice IMHO. The recoil is manageable even with heavy loads and they are very strong.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I think settling on a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk is a good choice Smiler

If I wasn't going for big bore and stuck with whitetails at reasonable distance, I wouldn't mind having a .41 or .357, if you have your mind set on the single action .44, get one! Whichever way you go you will be pleased

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you make friends with shooters who have lots of different revolvers.

See if you can try out various single action and double action pistols to see which you like.

Single actions can handle recoil a little better due to the curved grip, but some people (me) don't like the grips. I like the grips on DA revolvers more for the actual aiming and shooting part of it.
SA revolvers are nice and you don't really need DA, but I prefer DA because they're easier to load/unload for lazy people like myself.

I have a Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger and love it.
I wouldn't mind a Blackhawk though...it'd be nice to have something lighter and more compact.

44mag would be a nice hunting round. So would 41 mag and 45 long colt. 357 would be nice for short distances (heck, it's all short distance for me, I can't shoot worth a darn Smiler .

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Even though I have several SBH's and BH's, if you're in the market for a Ruge SA, I'd say go out and look hard for a Bisley model. In fact, try your damndest to find an AccuSport stainless Bisley model either in 44 or 45 as you'll have to reload anyways if you want to shoot a bit to get good. Intitially, the Bisley models don't seem to look quite as nice as the regular BH models but they'll grow on you since they mitigate recoil so well.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All good advice, especially the part about shooting several different types, and calibers for that matter of revolvers. Either the .44 Mag or the .45 Colt are excellent revolvers for hunting whitetails. The Bisley would be my first choice in a single action and the Model 29 S&W, older one before the sellout, would a good choice in double action. 240 to 260 grain bullets at 1,000 fps or so are plenty for deer and won't abuse you will practicing.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carolina Counsel,
My own preference is a 7 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk. Others, like a Freedom Arms Mdl. 83, S&W 629, or Ruger Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Bisley or the Hunter versions, can also work very well. I've owned and shot them all, but the best entry level revolver is the Super Blackhawk, in my opinion.
Stainless or blued is a personal choice.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
All great advise. You may want to consider the .45 Colt as they really are pleasant to shoot in most factory fodder, but can be turned up considerably with heavy bullets if need be......

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that bothers me is everyones recommendation of the Bisley grip. Some of us can't use them, they do NOT handle recoil better and they are more sensitive to the way they are held. You should not recommend them without knowing the size of the man's hands.
I would get the SBH and put Pachmeyer grips on it. One size fits all.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for all of the quick replies. My hands are probably considered large, but not huge, as I'm a thin 6' 4". Sounds like I do need to make friends with someone with a number of pistols. Maybe the gun shop will let me try a few out. I'm interested in the comment about reloading. I'm certainly not a wealthy guy. Is that what most of regular hunter/shooters do?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Carolina -- reloading was the only way I was able to afford shooting when I was in college!! Big Grin If you have the facilities and the time, it's fun developing loads for your firearm, and can save you quite a bit over factory loads.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I think a .480 Ruger SRH would be best for hunting, for a first time hunting gun that probably would use off-the-shelf ammo, I recommend a .44 Mag simply because it seems to be the gold standard, and stuff is so abundant for it. You can shoot mild .44 Spls all day if you want to just punch holes or bust cans.

You don't HAVE to handload, but it is way more economical once you are over the initial cash outlay for equipment, and it's fun and the only way to maximize the potential of the handgun.

Most indoor ranges rent guns, but you have to buy their ammo. And they may have a very limited selection of big bore wheelguns - call around to see who has what, and what their costs would be.

If you post your location, a nearby forum member might chime in and offer to go to the range with you. It's worth a try.

John Davies
Spokane WA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advise is going to differ a lot from everyone else's here. You need to pick out your center fire revolver first to be sure. Once that decision has been made, you need to get a 22 LR revolver to match the center fire revolver you have chosen as much as possible. Practice with the 22 to build up good shooting habits. The money you will save on ammo alone will pay for the center fire revolver you bought eventually. The lack of noise and recoil will help you to become a good shot a lot quicker.

I have followed this technique very successfully with my Contenders and an Encore. Hunting small game and or ground squirrels, shooting off hand as much as possible, will build your confidence in shooting in field positions. Shooting at a range isn't all that helpful beyond sighting in and developing accurate loads for a center fire. If you can successfully take ground squirrels off hand out to 50 to 75 yards with a 22 LR, hitting a deer's vital zone will not be very intimidating under similar conditions with your center fire revolver.

On the matter of a scope versus open sights, you said that you were interested in staying with open sights permanently. Most people's vision degrades to the point that some time in their 40s they will find open sights almost impossible to use. A good quality pistol scope will put you back in the game again with its single sighting plane. The scope will also offer a much higher degree of precision shot placement than was ever possible with open sights. And with practice, you will eventually become nearly as fast with the scope as you were with the open sights. Of course this will require two scopes, one for your 22 revolver and one for your center fire revolver...Rusty, a handgun hunter.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I think that's a great idea. That's what we did when I was younger with a rifle (we got a 22-250 and a .308 in the same model). Do the Rugers come in .22? How much do you think I would need to outlay to get set up for reloading?

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i've got a 10" super blackhawk... with factory 240 gr stuff, it's a good deer or hog-sized animal pistol... i used to shoot IHMSA pistol silhouette with it, 200 meters, when i would tkae my time, i did well... shooting off of a rest i can keep all 6 rounds into 6" at 100yds... you can use 44 special in it for reduced...i scoped it with a leupold 1 1/2 just to play with it...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2828 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Rusty. If all you've shot is a Glock, going to a Ruger SBH in 44mag could be disastrous and just turn you off. The recoil of a plow handle is nothing like your Glock. Find a friend, someone, anyone, that's willing to let you shoot their guns first. You may not even be able to handle a 44mag, who knows?? Work your way up until you're comfortable with the cartridge AND type of handgun. The Dirty Harry craze sold a lot of model 29's only to be resold again after the shooter realized they couldn't handle it or didn't like it.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To expand a little on Rusty's excellent advice... Get a Contender G2 with a 10 inch iron sight barrel, find ammo it likes, and practice, practice, practice. Then buy a 10 inch 44 magnum barrel, practice enough to zero it, and go hunting. If you find the magnum loads too much of a good thing you can use specials or cowboy loads to work up your recoil tolerance. You may find the Pachmayr rubber grip makes the magnum less unpleasant to shoot. Should you someday desire a scope or optical sight a Leupold QRS mount on each barrel would allow you to share a sight between them. Unlike any other hunting handgun the G2 (and its larger older brother) can also become a rimfire or centerfire rifle, a shotgun, or a inline muzzleloader.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
The only thing that bothers me is everyones recommendation of the Bisley grip. Some of us can't use them, they do NOT handle recoil better and they are more sensitive to the way they are held. You should not recommend them without knowing the size of the man's hands.
Interesting; our experience differs 180 degrees. I cannot abide the SAA plowhandle in any form, find it makes serious recoil unpleasant, and that it cannot be held the same way twice. I would not own my Blackhawk and Single-six if they were not the Bisley variant. Best for a new shooter to try before he buys...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend trying out both the Ruger Superblackhawk Bisley Hunter in 44 Rem Mag and the Ruger Single Six Hunter in the .22 version. Both have open sights and come with scope rings which mount integral on the barrel rib so the scope can be installed and removed quickly. The best of all worlds right there. This is also speaking from experience as I have all manner of handguns and hunting with them.

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to the shop in about 15 minutes just to hold a few. Won't make a decision for a while. Ironically, I got a surprise bonus last night, so I'll definitely be making a purchase. Clearly, that's what the Big Man wants.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have large hands the Bisley will beat your knuckle senseless. So will the SBH without rubber grips. But the Bisley puts you way up under the trigger guard. Putting rubber grips on it helps.
The hogleg was designed to roll in the hand but if shot properly IT DOES NOT ROLL. You want the gun to rise under recoil with your hand and arm. Rubber grips get you away from the trigger guard and straighten the recoil somewhat like a Bisley but you have more room.
I spent years shooting IHMSA and found the SBH can tolerate a slight hold shift without losing accuracy. The Bisley has to be held the same for each shot. The S&W 29 is super grip sensitive and groups can shift 10" at 50 meters by just putting the gun down and picking it up again.
I shot 79 out of 80 at the Ohio state shoot with my SBH and Pachmeyer grips. There is no way I held the gun the same for 80 shots! This gun is getting close to 58,000 rounds and I recently shot several 1" and quite a few 1-1/4" groups with it at 100 yd's with cast boolits.
My Bisley NEVER shot as good because I could make it wander around the target by changing the hold. I sold it because it HURT.
You fellas that CAN use the Bisley don't understand how bad it is with large hands.
I shoot my BFR .475 and 45-70 all day with full house loads but 6 shots with a Bisley makes me wrap my knuckle with a rag. I even had to put Pachmeyer's on my Vaquero because I shoot 335 and 347 gr boolits. The standard Redhawk also tears me up but the SRH is fine.
You MUST shoot some guns before buying one. I won't tell anyone to buy the Bisley unless they have small hands or shoot one first. They are not a cure for recoil.
My friend wanted the pretty grips for his Freedom .475. I told him to buy the rubber grips too. He didn't, but his order went in after one shooting session. Now he won't even shoot it. Even his Freedom .357 stings my knuckle. When I hold it, my knuckle is right against the trigger guard.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy smokes BFR, you need to toughen up some Smiler

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have large hands and a very large middle knuckle from shooting heavy bows all my life. I met a guy at the range with a SBH that he didn't remove the sharp edge on the trigger guard. Had the wood grips. He was shooting 10 yd's and could not hit the paper. I asked if I could try it and he handed me the gun. I put the right amount of clicks on the sight and bounced a gallon jug all over the place at 200 yd's from Creedmore. He was amazed but you should have seen the blood fly from my knuckle. I had a new cut from every shot. I don't flinch no matter what but I just don't like getting beat up.
So easy to cure by putting a rubber grip on the gun.
I looked at my SBH and the rubber is wearing away from my knuckle. I might have to buy new ones soon.

One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
A SRH in .454 is nice since you can stuff 45colt or 454 casull casings with 10 or so gr of Uniqe topped with a 255gr cast in it and have a mild recoiling accurate load that will shoot end through end on a whitetail. It comes with rings if you decide to get optics and the new Houge grips like the ones for the S&W X-frame tame the heavy loads quite well. Or the S&W 629 44 mag is good too but more $$. By the way S&W is owned by Americans again and not the British.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[ . I asked if I could try it and he handed me the gun. I put the right amount of clicks on the sight and bounced a gallon jug all over the place at 200 yd's from Creedmore. knuckle. I gun.

What kind of gun was this???? Please no abbreviations .OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have large hand and shoot a Bisley in 45 Colt.I tape the knuckle on my middle finger and it works fine. OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OLBIKER,

SBH = Ruger Super Blackhawk
SRH = Ruger Super Redhawk

The Lord Bless You

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have large hands and a very large middle knuckle from shooting heavy bows all my life. I met a guy at the range with a SBH that he didn't remove the sharp edge on the trigger guard. Had the wood grips. He was shooting 10 yd's and could not hit the paper. I asked if I could try it and he handed me the gun. I put the right amount of clicks on the sight and bounced a gallon jug all over the place at 200 yd's from Creedmore. He was amazed but you should have seen the blood fly from my knuckle. I had a new cut from every shot. I don't flinch no matter what but I just don't like getting beat up.
So easy to cure by putting a rubber grip on the gun.
I looked at my SBH and the rubber is wearing away from my knuckle. I might have to buy new ones soon.

You must have had leather pants on to shoot a Revolver from the Creedmoore position!!!!! bsflag

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I've shot creedmore with a revolver. What's the problem with this? It's a damn stable position.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I've shot mine creedmore style, I still get wierd looks from the burn marks on my pant legs. I think my employees think I am a pyro hillbilly homer

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a blast shield made from thick rubber. It has a strap that slips over my knee. If I get a chance when hunting to use the position, I just slip a glove between my leg and cylinder.
Thing can hurt big time without protection.

posted Hide Post
I've used blast shields made of thick leather as well as old fire house. No BS to it at all Olbiker. No way I'd mess up a pair of leather pants shooting without some form of protection from the cylinder gap.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just try to shoot as many of your friend's handguns as you can and make up your own mind. I have a Ruger SBH 44 mag with pachmyer grips that does not hurt your hands. I also have a Rossi 44 special with a three inch barrel that I enjoy shooting. It is whatever you like.

Posts: 116 | Location: Eastport Maine | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use a blast shield made from thick rubber. It has a strap that slips over my knee. If I get a chance when hunting to use the position, I just slip a glove between my leg and cylinder.
Thing can hurt big time without protection.

I was watching a guy shoot Creedmoore one with a 454.he just had jeans on .Got one heck of a burn on his leg.I do it all the time with my Contender.Just yankin your chain,no offense I hope??? Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
What caliber is your Glock? The 45acp is fine for small deer. If you already have it and can shoot it well, give it a try. I load it with some 230 Starfires and go say hello to Bambi.
The 357 mag is also pleanty for small deer. If you're a bow hunter, then you can easily get within open sighted revolver distance. There are lots of inexpensive revolver options when you get away from the main stream guns. The EAA Bounty Hunter can be had for less than $200 when you shop around. I have a JP Saur and Son's 357 mag single action that I picked up for $125. The guy said the barrel was worn out, but it shoots fine for me. I used it for an 80yd shot on a small 2pt Mulie. I put it right where you would an arrow. Aim for the opposite shoulder, in tight behind the leg, through both lungs and ended up in the offside shoulder. It ran about 40yds and was dead leaning against a tree.
I didn't intend to take it hunting that day, only test fireing after working on the hammer and trigger so only had 110gn JHPs in it. The little bullet was still 110gns afterwards.
You should definatly use a heavier bullet in the 158-180gn range, but small deer really aren't that hard to kill.

The Knuckle Buster thing: The worst part of shooting my 470NE double is my middle finger gets bashed by the trigger gaurd. Brownells has a finger recoil pad that is padded leather and elastic band. I keep it in the 470's ammo box, but it might work well for a revolver.

I like the Houge Mono-Grip on the Ruger Blackhawks. It handles heavy recoil well and helps to keep your hand in the same place/position for everyshot.

You might try heading to a range on a day they're haveing a pistol shoot. Find a talkative friendly bunch of guys and see if they'll let you shoot some different ones. Nearly everytime I take the 4" 500 S&W to the range, someone comes over and wants to try it.
Reload with cast bullets, they're cheap, shoot lots and try shooting at longer ranges.

I like the Elmer Keith position. Sitting with back against a tree and forearms on my knees. It's very stable and comfortable to stay in for awhile.
Practice cocking your (EMPTY)revolver with the trigger pulled back, let off of the trigger, then the hammer. It might be quieter?? Or if you think somethings comeing in, then cock it ahead of time??

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the input. I ended up handling a lot of different pistols and chose the SBH Hunter with the Bisley grip. I plan to also get a single six covertible hunter for Christmas if Santa is good to be so that I can really get the fundamentals down. I have a lot to learn, but figure that I will be able to shoot a pistol within bow range before too long. I'm really not that interested in the super long range shooting.