THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk
 Login/Join

<Morpheus>
posted
Looking for a good load for 250gr and 300gr Hornady XTP bullets. My current load for 250gr is 35gr. of H110 at 1750fps. Just got this gun and haven't had much time to play with it yet, was hoping to get some input from others whom have!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx

<10point>
posted

I load a Speer 300 grn JSP with 32 grn's H110 in a rageing Bull. I bet you will get much more penetration with the speer 300 then the XTP. Your XTP, or any JHP should be nice for deer. Im taking the JSP to Africa next year...........10

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I believe my buddy was loading 31 gr H110 over the 300 gr XTP, seemed to shoot pretty good, and was clocking ~1450 fps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Matt77>
posted
I've noticed that even a primer change can turn things upside down in a 454 casull.
Make sure you're buying the 300 XTP MAGNUMS, the ones with ONE CANNELURE.
Work up carefully. With the same amount of grains, but different primers, I different velocities, and the one made flashes that came out the sides of the cylinder that said to me, "don't try me again." This was just a primer change! If you ask me, I'd say shoot the big dogs before a hunt, and get the practice with the lighter loads. Not only is your pistol going to last longer, you can not simply learn to shoot like a champ with a pistol kicking like the 454.
And last, but least, ALWAYS, chronograph loads when working them up, especially in the 454. Since we're using small rifle primers, and the cup is thicker, the usual pressure signs displayed in a primer are absent until too late or near too late in the 454.
Velocity is a direct result of pressure. If you're nailing 1900 fps with a 300 grain xtp, I'd say you're in the red zone, well, far into it. I'd personally quit near or around 1700 fps. I know I'm within Hornady's velocity range, and the general range for 300 grains bullets in the 454. Actually, isn't 1700 fps near the top safe velocity for the 454 300 grains?
Another thing, if your pistol is grouping like a gem at 1550 fps, You've hit gold, so I wouldn't mess with going higher. You'll find out that the Casull is a walk in the park untill you start getting over 1600 fps. Nothing like some guys shoot (4.5 inch barrel 500 linebaughs), but just about where I start questioning my sanity.
I like the sheer fact that I can load up 45 colt loads that are anemic in my revolver, but would blow up many other 45 colt revolvers. I like the fact that I can cook up a decent recoiling load that allows follow up shots for whitetails, and if dinosaurs escape the island, I'll send 370 grain lead bullets at them.