New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Stix
 Login/Join

<SlimL>
posted
In my HHI newspaper I read a lot about people using Shooting Stix. Are they hard to use? What are they like to set up? Do they take much time? I am thinking that maybe a portable rest I can take with me might not be a bad idea. Any thoughts? SlimL

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
What I've tried, and found to work extremely well, are a pair of cross country ski poles. You loop each strap over the grip of the other pole, make and X with them, and nestle your hands in the straps. The cheaper poles are ~$15 a pair, are light, and work well to aid hiking in steep areas. The support definately helps with groups, I shoot as well as I do off the bench, but w/o my elbows getting pounded into the bench.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
I use the "Steady Stix II". You can see them at the Cabelas site www.cabelas.com. The item number is XM22-2262 or XM22-3064. They carry very nicely on the belt.

------------------
Handgun Hunter

<SD Handgunner>
posted
I use a pair I made up out of two of the legs off of an old aluminum easle (sp). You know the kind that had the twist knob adjustment for extending the inside tube to make them longer or shorter.

I took two of the legs, and experimented with lengths so I could use them in their shortest position from a kneeling position. once I had my minimum length measured, I cut off the top (outside section) to the desired length, and drilled a hole threw both of them, about 6" from the top.

I then cut the inside section of the legs to the right length, 6" shorter than the outside tube. I then made pieces of round shaft to put inside of the outside tubing where I put the cross bolt threw them to attach them together. I covered the rest portion of the top with rubber hose, and covered the rest of them with Camo Tape.

They work great, at their shortest length, they work quite well from either Kneeling or Sitting. When on a hillside (as is most of the time when Calling Coyotes) I can simply extend them to the needed length. I also put a ring on the cross bolt, and attach a sling with a clip on it, and carry them with the sling.

I have gotten so used to using these sticks, I sometimes wonder how I ever got along without them. With my elbows on my knees, when in a sitting position, I am always surprised as to how steady I can get with the aide of these shooting sticks.

Larry