THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    factory loads for deer hunting with .44 mag

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

factory loads for deer hunting with .44 mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have already gotten a lot of useful information on this site and was hoping for some more. I have not yet gotten up to reloading and just want to purchase some good factory loads for my new SBH in .44 for whitetail hunting under 40 yards. Any suggestions? Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'd get these if I was a cast bullet fan

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=513011&t=11082005

And if you like JHP's I'd get these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=401726&t=11082005

I really like the Hornady XTPs, and at under 40 yards you dont need to worry about bullet drop too much and so the 300grainer will be great

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Carolina Counsel, I have tried a number of factory loads in my .44s and I really like Double Tap Ammo's 320 grain WFN loads. Anything Buffalo Bore makes is also worth looking at. I'm not a big fan of jacket bullets in a big-bore handgun.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Since you are talking about deer, honestly, just about any 240gr. + JHP, JSP, or cast lead bullet will do the trick.

For my GP100 in .357, I use a 180gr. Hornady XTP. You can always look at the Hornady 20-round boxes of 240gr. XTP's. They'll do just fine...

As will Winchester White Box or Remington Standard stuff.

I'm convinced at this point that deer just aren't that hard to kill.

(PS: now if you are talking about Pig hunting, go Cast Lead and don't look back!)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I like to find one general hunting load that will do it all -- be it a factory loading or something that I developed, and leave it at that. I just don't see the sense in having to mess with different POIs and the sighting involved. But that's just my philosophy. That is generally why I will go with heavier bullets -- they will kill big animals and small animals alike and I don't feel that there is such a thing as overkill -- dead is dead. Heavy cast bullets just flat out-penetrate expanding bullets, and two holes bleed more than one! Big Grin Not trying to be contrary, just offering my .02 cents for what it's worth -- and two cents ain't a whole lot! jumping

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I like to find one general hunting load that will do it all -- be it a factory loading or something that I developed, and leave it at that. I just don't see the sense in having to mess with different POIs and the sighting involved. But that's just my philosophy. That is generally why I will go with heavier bullets -- they will kill big animals and small animals alike and I don't feel that there is such a thing as overkill -- dead is dead. Heavy cast bullets just flat out penetrate expanding bullets, and two holes bleed more than one! Big Grin Not trying to be contrary, just offering my .02 cents for what it's worth -- and two cents ain't a whole lot! jumping

+1.......... thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet the Barnes all copper bullet [Corbon DPX ] or the Nosler Partition [Win ?] would be excellent choices. 300 gr or more are not needed for deer. I used the no longer available 225 Gr Speer with great success !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep two holes are better than one. At 40 yards just about anything you shoot in a .44RemMag will pass through a deer. If I had a .44 and if I didn't reload and if my gun would shoot them I'd go with the Cor-Bon 200gXPB and never look back. After you have your reloading setup keep with the XPBs and just tweak the loads to your liking.

Love Those .41s'

Posts: 80 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Magtech and Remington 240 gr JSP to take deer with my .44 mag, and they both work fine. I agree with the guys that said any 240 gr or heavier loading will work fine for deer. I've killed 3 deer with 240 grain JSPs, and all three were complete passthroughs with a half inch entrance and a golfball sized exit wound.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good stuff, guys. Thanks a lot.