New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger on a 686
 Login/Join

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I've just bought a SS 686 second hand. This is my first handgun although I've been shooting club guns for two years now. It's virtually brand new with Hogue grips and stock trigger. Q: The trigger seems to have a very long pull on double-action. Can this be altered with an aftermarket job and if so, what do you recommend?

Thanks in Advance.
Hunter

<jagtip>
posted
Since you mention that this is your first handgun,I suppose a few basics are in order.The revolver you have is a smith & wesson model 686 which is that company's stainless steel 357 magnum built on their L frame.The long stroke you describe is inherent in the very design of the mechanism.The single action pull on most smith & wesson's is normally very crisp and light.If you find the double action stroke to be objectionable,there are a few things a good gunsmith can do to smooth things up.However,since you're fairly new to this,I'd simply practice with it for awhile which incidentally will help to smooth it up as well.I suggest you spend some time getting used to this revolver before you have any after market gunsmithing done to it.