New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 657 and 629
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Just how durable are the S&W 657s and 629s, assuming a steady diet of near max and max loads? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using S&W 44 mags since about 1971 or 1972. The two I have owned the longest have had to be tuned up and had some parts replaced, like the locking bolts and the hand. The S&W will shoot loose quicker than a Ruger. The Freedom Arms is the best revolver made.
You will probably not wear a S&W out with normal sporting use, however using one for competition with full loads is not a good idea.
I have heard it many times that the stainless steel S&W,s are not as rugged as the blued ones, but I have shot my stainless guns a fair amount without any problems.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new 629's are supposed to have an endurance package.
I think that started at model 29-5, maybe late 80's.
So, you may need to consider the age of the guns that others comment on.

Anyway, I have not shot my 629 enough to comment on its endurance.

I can say this though, I will not spend the $ on another one. I love my S&W but my ruger 44's are just as accurate, I am more familiar with the rugers insides, and more confident with the Rugers abillity to push the limit with hot 44 loads.

I can fix just about anything that goes wrong with my Rugers and put a better trigger on them than the factory S&W trigger, myself. Also I can get 2 rugers for the price of a S&W.

I do love my 629 and think it will make a great hog gun. I just hope it holds up.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would use more near max than max loads in either revolver. As has been stated previously, the Rugers and Freedom Arms hold up to the heavy loads much better. My 29-5 shoots two hunting loads well; 21.0 of 2400 with a 240 cast bullet and 24.0 of WW296 and 240 grain jacketed HPs. Most of my shooting is with 8.5 to 9.0 grains of Unique and 240 grain cast bullets.

I shot a few silhouette matches with my Smith before getting a Super BlackHawk with a 10.5" barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I share everyone's concern about the lifespan of a pistol. Any pistol. They can all be shot to pieces. For that reason I VERY SELDOM shoot anything near max in my Smith .41 Classic Hunter. It's my favorite pistol and my standard load is a moderate 18grs of 2400 behind a 215 gr cast. The gun loves this load and it performs beautifully for my purposes, plinking and varmit hunting.

Frankly, I look at guns like I do automobiles. My last car would do a solid 145 mph...but I drove it 70 - 80. I think the same should apply to our pistols. What they WILL DO and what we actually NEED them to do are often two very different things.

If you REALLY need all it's got, crank it up. If you don't, back off. There are a lot of wonderfully effective loads that won't beat your pistol into scrap metal. Why not use them when we can? I'm not trying to impress anyone and there's nothing out there going to eat me.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Bangor Punta, late 1970s, S&W 629 4", which shot loose with 8.0 grains of Unique and 240 grain cast bullets. I shot an estimated 200 rounds a week for six months, and the cylinder started to float backward. Everything is better than in the 70s now. I have a relatively new 629 6" and feed it 4 grains of Bullseye and 240 grain SWC cast bullets, or 8 grains of Unique and 205 round nose grain cast bullets. The top strap had lots of cutting on that first revolver, but it was probably the combination of hot powder and cheap cast bullets. Better brands of cast bullets are out there now, as well as may good, cooler, powders. I deer hunt occasionally with it, so I don't see the need for maximum loads, just 180 to 210 grain JHPs or moderate velocity 240 grain cast, 1300 fps or so.

Posts: 51 | Location: Dickson, TN | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos, I have over 56,000 near max to max rounds out of my Ruger KS411 with NO wear other then some forcing cone erosion. There is no end shake and the side play is the same as when I bought it. I can still hit pop cans at 100 yds from Creedmore position.
The secret is to lube the ratchet, pin and front of the cylinder with STP oil treatment.
I have shot so many heavy boolits that I sheared the grip frame screws when they became a little loose. I check and locktite them all the time now. I sheared the twist in lug on the Burris scope ring once. Burris replaced the rings, no questions asked.
I shoot boolits that would shake an S&W to pieces. And it kills deer like no tommorrow.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62, I have been shooting a Model 57, for many years. (It matches perfectly, my Marlin 1894S .41 Magnum.)

I use full house loads in it if I'm hunting deer, etc., or, if I'm in bear country. Other than that, I have a favortie load of 8.5 grains of Unique, and a 215 grains hard cast SWC bullet. It clocks at 927 FPS from my 6" bbl. Considering everything, including some coyotes and a Mule deer, that round does a really good job on many targets. I'll not post my "hunting/bear" round, but it is right up at the top of the max list. Just say there's a good amount of H110, or Blue Dot, depending on which bullet shoots better with which powder.

I've not found anything shooting loose in mine, and I can't believe it will shoot loose, unless I decide to go full bore EACH round, for several thousand rounds. That ain't a'gonna happen.

Good luck. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the 657 but I had a 629 about 15yrs ago that after shooting about 800 rounds of light Mag 1000fps lead bullet loads or less it would no longer lock up while shooting single or double action. When I started shooting the gun it would group about 1.5 inches at 25yrds when I traded it off the groups were about 18 inches at 25yrds. It would no longer lock up unless you manually turned the cylinder. I was told that S&W had made some Stainless Steel pistols that were too soft.

If I were buying a new 44 Mag it would be a Ruger Super Red Hawk. My friend had one and it would shoot fantastic groups. He shot it with a lot of hot Mag loads and never seemed to affect the accuracy.

I have a Dan Wesson that I bought used on Auction Arms the cylinder is loose, it does lock up but there is to much play and it affects the accuracy. I am planning to send it to DW so they can tighten it up.

I would be careful buying a used pistol from any body unless you know them personally or are better judge of a used pistol than I am, especially if you are considering buying from the Internet. It is so easy to get burned and pay nearly a new price for a supposedly perfect condition used firearm. And there is the problem with some jerk bidding just to increase the price.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Pecos, I have over 56,000 near max to max rounds out of my Ruger KS411 with NO wear other then some forcing cone erosion. There is no end shake and the side play is the same as when I bought it. I can still hit pop cans at 100 yds from Creedmore position.
The secret is to lube the ratchet, pin and front of the cylinder with STP oil treatment.
I have shot so many heavy boolits that I sheared the grip frame screws when they became a little loose. I check and locktite them all the time now. I sheared the twist in lug on the Burris scope ring once. Burris replaced the rings, no questions asked.
I shoot boolits that would shake an S&W to pieces. And it kills deer like no tommorrow.

Could you explaine the lube process a little better it sounds like something I need to do. I have been using Browning or Rem oil if it will help I am willing to listen

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede, Super Redhawk one fine accurate shooter. I sold mine to a friend so I would have enough money to buy the BFR. I am very happy with it but will regret selling the SRH the rest of my life. Thats the trouble with being retired on a fixed income.
With a scope on the SRH I was able to hit pop cans at 200 yds from sandbags.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought my first 29 in 1973. Exceedingly accurate and went over 10K rounds before it needed a tune up. Currently only shoot .41 Magnums and am now just having to replace the hand on a 57 4" that was purchased in 1982. That gun was my duty gun, competition and hunting gun for many years so no telling how many target and full loads have been through it.

If you want to hot load a S&W do it with H110/WW296. The pressure curve seems much more spread out and it is the only powder I can use in a S&W that is also a top load in a Ruger. Even with the hottest load on the hottest day the cases dump right out with no sticking or primer flattening.

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I have known RJM for @20+ years. We used to shoot and work together when he lived in TX. He has always been a little off the mainstream as he was a 41 Mag man even in the heyday of DIRTY HARRY. And he was a 38 Super shooter way long before it was COOL, WAY BEFORE the IPSIC champions discovered it.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I am a little off the "mainstream" it has always been nice to have the company of No2. When the water has gotten deep he was alway there to pull us out.
As to his abilities there is no finer shot with a rifle, revolver, pistol or submachine gun. His trophy table can't hold any more trophies. He once beat Mas Ayoob in a tactical match. Ayoob was herd to say that "Glock ought to pay him to shoot". Upon hearing this however No2's head swelled up so much that he has never been able to get his hat on since. Which is the excuse he has always used when caught by his supervisor without a hat..."it just don't fit anymore..."

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Took the M57 to the gunsmith today. The lockup is still tight and the endshake is well within spec. Initial inspection showed that some of the hand either wore out or sheared off. Just enough to not catch the star sometimes causing the cylinder not to turn. Also the gun was shot so much that the trigger and hammer SA sear areas are worn to the point that the hammer can be pushed off when cocked SA. No problem for DA shooting but a potential danger for SA shooting...so they are also being replaced. For a 25+ year old gun with who knows how many rounds through it I'll never complain....Bob