Find
Notify
Tools

10mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Talk to me about your 10mm experiances.

I am thinking of getting one for when I don't want to carry a gun, but I probably should in the woods.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
ddunn -- what do you intend to do with your 10mm? Personally for me it is one of the finest personal protection rounds in existence, particularly against predators of the 2 legged variety. For four-legged predators I would probably want something a bit heavier......JMHO.....

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Works well on bunnies

Besides that I have no other hunting experience with it

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Bunny killer! Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
I have three all told. A Colt Delta, a S&W 1006, and a Glock 20. I have them because they are as close to a .41Magnum(my precious!) as I can get in a packable semi-auto. A good mix of power, size, and capacity. Have my eyes on another 1006 as it just shrugs off gonzo loads. The Delta is a little more fragile while the Glock is...well...a Glock.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I plan on buying a Glock 20 in the near future!

Semper Fidelis

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a pack able, concealable, pistol, that I will take with me in a semi-concealed way when I am on hiking, canoeing, sailing trips to places where I “shouldn’t†need (well I haven’t needed one yet) a gun. If I need it, it will more than likely be against 4 legged animals (black bear, big kitty, wolf)

So far the Glock20 looks like a promising prospect.

Since I know some people hunt with 10mm, I want to hear some stories of bullet selection and animals shot.

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I just recently sold my G20. I liked it a lot. It was accurate and easy to carry, plus holds 15+1 of 10mm. That's a lot of power in an easy to handle package. It did fine for deer and all smaller animals. I used the 180 XTP and bluedot for all my loads.

I only sold it to split up my uses - a smaller .40 for carry and a hunting revolver with lots more power. For defense use while walking the woods, I really can't think of a better package or cartridge for either animlas or people. Some will put the Glock down, and I admit it's not real pretty to look at - but the design points perfectly for me and goes bang every time I pull the trigger, with no real maintenance concerns at all.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a G-20. The thing is mucho accurate and with a heavy duty spring you can load it to just under 41 mag velocity with a 200 gr XTP.

I've killed several hogs with it and it does ok. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use it on black bear. In fact I am not sure I wouldn't use it as a defensive pistol in brown bear country as I can shoot it fast and accurate.

Yes it is light for a brown bear but so is any other pistol round. The advantages I see are 16 adequate rounds in a package that is nearly indestructible. Put the rounds in the right place and it should kill as effectively as any other pistol round.

PS

This is theory only, it not proven or recommended information. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd have one already except I can't get one that's legal for hunting in Ohio since the minimum barrel length is 5". If they'd make a competition model in 10mm, I'd already have one.

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SA Omega 10mm, six inch ported barrel. No longer produced for the U.S. market but still available from Peter Stahls in Europe.

Have taken Antelope and Whitetails, extremely effective. May be a bit light for those big bodied deer (300-400lbs) found in upper midwest.

Have used Hornady ammo, 200 grain XTP's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GD,

There is a long barrel available for the G-20. If you look around maybe you can find the info I believe it is a 6 or 8 " barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is also the Dan Wesson Razor Back. It has a 5" barrel.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Rembrandt1!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any personal experience with the 10mm, but for those that don't handload, Doubletap makes some very stout ammo:

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.p...ab29c66778ed0c83932b

one of us
posted Hide Post
EAA makes a Witness Hunter in 10mm. and it has a comp. I have a Witness Elite in 10mm. It has a 5" barrel.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into these and see what would suit my needs.

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are at least two or three companies that make 6" hunting barrels for the Glock 20. One is KKM, I can't recall the other two offhand but know there are others. Anyhow the 10mm will work fine for deer/hogs. Esox357.