THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    cylinder throats, barrel dimensions, bullet diameters

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cylinder throats, barrel dimensions, bullet diameters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to use my bussy's .44 mag SBH for bear this year, as mentioned in another post in this forum. He told me it always puts 5 shots in a nice group and throws the 6th, but he has never marked the bad chamber. I measured the cylinder throats and 5 measured .431 and one measured .432.

Is this normal?

Do you think the larger chamber is the "thrower"?

What should the throats be for best accuracy?

What size cast bullets do I need to get?

Has anyone sent a gun back to Ruger for this?

Thanks!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc, too many variables, For example, the errant cylinder may not be aligned correctly with the throat/barrel. I doubt that Ruger will do anything for you on this problem. How does it group for all 6? You say it throws the 6th shot. How far out?
That is why some companies use "line boring" for cylinder alignment. This is not a custom gun, so I don't believe it is reasonable to expect custom specifications. I have a scope sighted Ruger SBH in 44 mag. with a scope, and it shoots well at 50 yards from a rest. Anything further would require a Ransom rest which I don't have. Have you worked up a load? Mine shoots extremely well with 300 gr. cast bullets and a stiff load of H110.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Set up six targets and shoot a five shot group from each chamber separately at each target .Then you'll know your accuracy of each chamber .Unless you get a custm revolver you're stuck with what you have as far as chamber throats .There are possible cylinder throat/barrel throat/bore combinations that are bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a line bored revolver sitting on the table right now and everything measures perfect on it. Each chamber puts a group in a different spot of the target, two cambers always have two flyers.
There is more to it then .001" difference, there are other causes for fliers and much of it is the brass itself, the bullet, the load or ignition, not the gun.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have seen Ruger SBHs that would not accurately shoot a cast bullet smaller than 0.432". Does it shoot minute-of-black bear?

I just wouldn't get too worked up over this.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only popped a few shots with it myself, just to see if I could handle the recoil (see my other post about my physical limitations). My buddy who owns it is th eone who said it groups funky with all 6 cylinders.

Whatever it does, I am sure it will work for my bear hunting, but I may have to use it for deer hunting in November. Accuracy would be more of a concern here.

Dave from Montana bullet works suggested .431 bullets. Should email him back and ask for .432?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can't say as to what size bullets you need without seeing the revolver shot. I'd try the .431s and see how they do. I just made that statement to point out one can see a wide variation in the diameter of bullet needed to shoot accurately.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.