THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    30 m1 carbine varmint / accuracy loads

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 m1 carbine varmint / accuracy loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any really good accuracy loads for the Ruger Blackhawk in 30 M1 carbine? I need something that will group at or under 1". Thanks.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For top end hunting loads I had really good accuracy results with the Speer 110 "Varminter" bullet. Best velocity with jacketed bullets came with H110 but best accuracy was with H4227. Healthy muzzle blast with both. For best accuracy the Lyman 311316 (gas checked 32-20 bullet) over 4.5 gr of Unique would put 6 into 1" at 25 yards with the iron sights.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian Pense (sp) did an aritcle last year with a lot of loads for the .30 Carbine Blackhawk In HANDLOADER Magazine. The "Best" load I recall was with the 90 grain Hornady XTP and H110 powder...

I have a 3 screw that I have only loaded a few rounds for but it is a very accurate and easy shooting gun..

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get Handloader but I must have missed that one. I have some of the Hornady 90gr. to try but have found the the Speer 110 jhp a bit too tough in rifles to make a good varmint slug in a revolver. The Speer plinker might end up being a choice but I would prefer a lighter jhp.
I may have to fall back on the 32 mag if the 30 Blackhawk doesn't work out.

Posts: 402 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
The onliest thing I've got against the .30 carbine is that it doesn't have a rim. Shuckey-darn! I agree that the .32 is a step-down. I used a buddy's .32 Ruger, and I thought it was about the best small-game handgun I could imagine. On the other hand, I've been a fan of the 4 5/8" Blackhawk for a lot of years, so I have a .30 Carbine, and it can be loaded down to the .32 Mag quite easily.
I've used several cast bullets, from the .32 Auto-88gr roundnose to 114gr WNRN made for the Mag...as sold and resized.
AA#9, AA#7, Li'l Gun, 2400, and H110 all work well, but may need a little tuning. I cast 'em really hard! The Sierra and Winchester softpoints work as well, but act as fmj's...a good thing when chasing edible game.
Chucks? If you're not going to eat them, or even if you are, Plinkers and Short-jackets work well. Have fun!

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote