THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HANDGUN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Handgun Hunting    DIY-Practical Shoulder/Chest Rig for a Reflex Sight - Pic added for Uncle Grinch

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY-Practical Shoulder/Chest Rig for a Reflex Sight - Pic added for Uncle Grinch
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Obviously, if you handgun hunt often; you may want to invest in a professionally made holster rig.

But for those of you who only dabble in handgun hunting (like me), I came up with this shoulder/chest rig made from a US M3 WWII era holster I bought off Amazon for $25 delivered. I suspect it would work for other 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 inch revolvers or autos.

I cut a relief channel for the reflex sight, cut the back side attachment of the saftey strap and re-attached with contact cement and a chicago screw so it worked for the revolver. I also removed a few of the stiches that formed the holster for a 1911 and trimmed the opening back to make it a little easier to slip the front edge of the cylinder in.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, that is a clever and inexpensive solution. Great job!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 30 years ago, when I was doing a bit of handgun hunting, I made a rig that was a shoulder holstered on my right side to fit my S+W model 57, 8 3/8" bbl. Also had a chest strap that held 2 speed loaders (I know, I know, but while you are sewing the leather, why not). The on the back side of the shoulder, I sewed a scabbard to fit my Puma "White Hunter". Everything in one package, plus it left my left shoulder free, if I wanted to use it while rifle hunting.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
that looks really practical

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Love your creativity. tu2 Might as well make something work if you can do so. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a chest rig built many years ago for my Model 57 8 3/8” Smith. It was the best, most practical way to carry that long barrel 41 Mag. I had tried regular belt holsters and shoulder holsters, but none really worked out. My son has it now, along with the Smith 57. I use my Ruger BH 4 5/8” 41 Mag now.

Show us a picture of you wearing it. I like your idea.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Uncle Grinch,

I am on the road travelling, will try to remember to do so when I return.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
For Uncle Grinch:

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank for the pic. Looks like it make the carry very practical. It’s kinda a cross between a chest and shoulder carry. I like it.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally found that while very comfortable to wear. To much stuff on ones chest can interfere.

With proper rifle presentation when trying to shoulder ones rifle fast.

The butt often hitting ones gear.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
uh...Handgun Hunting Forum Big Grin

Mike

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
uh...Handgun Hunting Forum Big Grin

there you go, ruining a "telling blow" with logic and reason

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your right no one carries a rifle while carrying a handgun.

What could one be thinking.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
When evaluaing a bbq grill for cooking steaks on the left-side, I always make sure the grate on the right-side is not too widly spaced in case I want cook shrimp Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Now that is really interesting. I have two of those holsters in "not so good" condition.

Here is my 30+ y/o solution for the Dan Wesson 8"

It now has a Burris Fastfire which is a bit hard to center in a pinch. B4 this it had a Leupold 2X

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I personally found that while very comfortable to wear. To much stuff on ones chest can interfere.

Now you know how Dolly Parton feels! homer

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Now you know how Dolly Parton feels! homer

Hip

All that silicone provides extra padding for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with Mike about his chest holster rig and decided to try it out for my Ruger. I didn’t have to make any alterations, but I did soak the holster in warm water for a few minutes to soften the leather. Then I wrapped my pistol in several large bags and forced it into the holster. After rubbing the holster with a blunt plastic handle it started to take the shape of my Ruger. After drying I applied some conditioner and now have a nice holster for less the $30. Thanks Mike for your suggestion.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you can make the leather take the shape better if you moisten it with rubbing alcohol on a rag.. DON'T drench it -- and take something like a pen or popsicle stick to shape it closer - it dries quicky and will require you to oil the leather afterwards

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote