New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackhawk strikes high
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The NM Blackhawk in 41 Magnum has always shot center to high with many loads. At 25 and 50 yards, it still shoots 4 to 5 inches high with magnum level handloads (200 - 250 gr bullets at 1300-1400fps). With lesser loads, such as 200gr SWCs at 900 fps, it strikes mostly to point of aim.

The factory rear sight is bottomed out so can't adjust it any further down, and I don't care to mess with a new front sight, if I could get a taller one. Any suggestions on changes to handloads to bring the strike of the bullets down? Just reduce velocities? Or something else?

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Hold the gun down more during recoil. The more you let the revolver jump the less the recoil impacts you , but it cause the bullet to strike at a higher point of impact. Other wise a taller front site is the solution

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a .41m but I shoot a .44m. Heavier bullets shoot higher , and more velocity shoots higher. like jwp475 said taller front sight or slow your bullets down.

Posts: 54 | Location: PNW | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it strikes mostly to point of aim.

sputster, I do not understand this statement. First, are you shooting from a pistol rest? If not I recommend that you use one. Secondly, what kind of groups are you getting at say 25 yards with open sights? Once you are shooting good groups then you can evaluate POA vs. POI at the intended range at which you wish to have the gun sighted in. I might also ask whether you are using a 6 o'clock hold.
Just my 2 cents, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add, if I may, that I have owned several Ruger Blackhawks and they have all shot very well with tailored handloads. Once you have a promising load I would suggest mounting a red dot sight to wring the most accuracy from your revolver.
Additionally my two 44 magnums (Super Blackhawk and S&W 629) have both had enough sight adjustments to allow me to shoot 240 grain and 300 grain bullets. Naturally your gun, or caliber, may be an different.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This problem does not happen with my Super Blackhawk (44 Mag) or SBH Bisley Hunter (44 Mag); shooting high has only been a problem with this particular revolver. I have changed to different (better) grips with no change in point of impact, although I can shoot tighter groups with it now.

This issue is the same whether I shoot from a rest, kneeling, or offhand. At 25 yards I generally shoot at a typical 25 yard pistol target with a 5-1/2" bull. Using a 6 o'clock hold, from an offhand position, 3 or 4 inch groups are all right - just want them more to the center.

I see that Brownells sometimes has .595" front sights in stock (as opposed to the stock .495" front sight).

sputster

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Just a guess, but I gonna say that Ruger is figuring the average person will use the 210 grain bullets in the 41 Mag at typical 41 Mg velocities and the sight system is based on that.
When on moves up in bullet weight and velocitiy there be some increased recoil and wht you see on paper is the result.

Higher front sight will also give you some adjustment in the rear sight again.

All that equal and opposite action/reaction stuff just increases with bullet weight and velocity increases.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4238 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If for nothing but for grins and giggles, try reducing the velocity of your heavy bullet loads by 200 fps or so and see where they are hitting. May not make a bit of difference, or it may lower your POI, only testing will tell. Any game you shoot won't be able to tell the difference in velocity.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a taller front sight from Brownells, and will see the gunsmith about installing it. This has been a problem for a long time, even with the lighter 200 or 210 grain bullets at magnum velocities. Will see how the new sight works.

sputster

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sputster:
I got a taller front sight from Brownells, and will see the gunsmith about installing it. This has been a problem for a long time, even with the lighter 200 or 210 grain bullets at magnum velocities. Will see how the new sight works.

That should correct the situation.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.