THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Ackley Mag Reloading Dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a rifle that appears to be chambered for the 270 Ackley Mag which is similar to a 7mm Rem mag necked down to 277. This is NOT the Ackley Imp 270 Winchester cartridge which is based on the 270 Win. I am looking for a set of reloading dies or even just a FL size die. Anyone have a set or know where I could find a set ? Thanks for any info you can share

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
CH4D lists it at $116.
I would spend that money on rebarreling to 7mm Mag.

Posts: 17122 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd. Checked with CH4D and they have no stock. I could order but I'm told order time is 2 yrs + so I was hoping to find a set that is no longer being used .

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could the barrel be set back and rechambered to 270 Weatherby? But probably better to rebarrel to a more accessible cartridge as Tom suggested. Of course practical is often boring even when it is the smart thing to do.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 270 ackley mag about 8 years ago came with 50 rounds formed from 300 h&h brass
the family sold reloading stuff to friend before selling fire arms . my barrel is stamped P.O.Ackley so changing barrel would make it just another nice mauser on the rack . So mine stays as is someday a set of dies will show up

Posts: 90 | Location: nw LA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Not what you are looking for, but a way to get shooting. Do a chamber cast to get case overall length. Take 7mm Rem Mag (or if 7mm Rem Mag is too short, 7mm STW) brass, trim to length (if necessary) and use a .270 Weatherby size die and neck down incrementally to .270 forming a false shoulder until the bolt will just close on the brass. Then use the .270 Weatherby seater to seat the bullet. Then fire-form. To reload, neck size in the Weatherby dies until you can get the correct dies.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still hoping someone has a set of 270 Ackley dies they will part with