THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Classified    If you were a Mountie, you'd wear these

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were a Mountie, you'd wear these
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Bought these recently from a fellow in a re-enactor group that I enjoy -- 1890-1930 sportsmen -- to go with my WWI-era cavalry breeches and campaign hat. Once I had them in hand, I realized there was no way in Hades that I could wear them owing to orthopedic issues mostly related to multiple back surgeries. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought them, as I have trouble just putting on tennis shoes.
Anyway, if there lurks the rare fellow out there for whom words like "Strathcona" excite the soul, these might be for you. Size is 9 1/2 and they seem to be of average width. I cannot find a maker's name on them. Heels are Bilt-Rites. Leather is in great shape. The outside diameter of the boots at upper calf is just over 18 inches, so if you are one of the larger members of our species with calves much larger than 17 inches or so, these are not for you.
I paid $225 shipped. Yours for $150 shipped, and I have received yet another lesson, proving that one is "never too old to learn". hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16409 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you were born 100 years too late :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I gave up on being a Mountie. No matter how many times I saved Lil’ Nell’, she just kept getting tied to the train tracks again.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I must confess that as a very young lad I was glued to the small black-and-white GE television with the rabbit ears watching "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon" and dreaming of chasing bad guys in the snow with my mighty dog, King, leading the dog team. And when the bad guys were caught, Sergeant Preston say, "Well, King, this case is closed."

For our Texas friends, I might point out that you would not only get serious style points wearing these, but also excellent snake protection.
beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16409 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
"This case is closed." Cool

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
"MUSH, you huskies!" Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, how well I understand. I have 2 circa late 1800s British pith helmets, one in white + 1 in Khaki.( Ala, The Man Who Would Be King) Now, where in the hell would I ever wear them? Impulsive buying formed from our youthful fantasies.

Posts: 4236 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I can't help it, + must apologize. When I saw your initial sale post, my 1st thought went to the Monty Python Lumberjack skit. Smiler

Posts: 4236 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness they are one size too big for me.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Glad this is at least creating a few smiles. Cool

Randy, I have a foreign service helmet that I wear when shooting British rifles, although I am currently without any Martinis except for the shaken, not stirred kind. It is also a wonderful thing to wear whilst screening "Zulu" for the umpteenth time. Shhhh!
hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed!, "It's those damned fuzzie-wuzzies; that noise is their feet ; they've been running for 3 days." (Admittedly, the 'fuzzie-wuzzies were a product of the Mahdi in Abyssinia + not the Zulu of the south.)
But what the hell has ever got in the way of truth for a good movie?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last Martini was + is rebarreled in 25 Krag. using a bunch of that birdseye maple that I had years ago.I traded the rifle (unfinished) to a gunsmith friend years ago for a knock-off 45 ACP, but the last time I saw him, he had done nothing with it, I am debating buying it back + finishing the project. Of course, in retirement, finances are paramount.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, a nicely-turned-out Martini in .25 Krag ought to make a lovely loafing rifle, and plenty strong.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I got the idea when perusing through P.O. Ackley book, + I saw the 25-303, that piqued my curiosity, but at that time, there were no dies available for that calibre in this country (only Australia). But since the 30/40 + 303 were the same base size, there would be no need to alter the bolt face, so that's why I chose that, + because it was odd + abstract, I suppose.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, concerning wearing your headgear while watching Zulu, I am reminded of the author (name forgotten) that wrote the book, "The Eagle has Landed", also made into the movie starring Mickael Caine. Anyway, the author got his inspirations from donning a German WW2 uniform + walking about his writing studio.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Glad this is at least creating a few smiles. Cool

Randy, I have a foreign service helmet that I wear when shooting British rifles, although I am currently without any Martinis except for the shaken, not stirred kind. It is also a wonderful thing to wear whilst screening "Zulu" for the umpteenth time. Shhhh!
hilbily

If st be sure to have your Walther close by when shaking up that kind of Martini.

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
These things are even my size.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must confess that as a very young lad I was glued to the small black-and-white GE television with the rabbit ears watching "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon"

For me, the very best Canadian Mountie movie of all time was the 1952 movie entitled: "The Wild North", starring Stewart Granger. tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
On hold, gentlemen; they are headed for Colorado "to see if they fit." Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Schrodinger
posted Hide Post
Those are such good looking boots, I would buy them if they were the right size.

Posts: 8613 | Location: Oregon  | Registered: 03 June 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
On hold, gentlemen; they are headed for Colorado "to see if they fit." Cool

How close to Denver?
I'll try them on if they don't fit him!

I just found the Early 20th Century Sportsman group on FaceBook.
Looks like a fun group.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Huvius, you know where he lives!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you have certainly started an interesting conversation. Smiler