Find
Notify
Tools

How far offhand with a .22LR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
Some friends and I have bets to see who can hit a 10" gong target 175 yards away with a .22lr using open sights. I can never get over how often we hit it. How far do the rest of you try with the rimfires?

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once the M52 Winchester was available and shot by many riflemen it was common for them to enter any caliber matches with it against any other gun up to and including 200 yards.

I don't see that as much now as there are so many good rifles out there.

If a "hunter" with his fancy centerfire went up against a gallery shooter with his .22 LR I am sure who would win on paper.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YOU'VE NEVER SHOT SILHOUETTES HAVE YOU NB HUNTER...

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEE EM, JUST KNOW WHERE THEY ARE....... THANX HARLEY...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
And they use browning buckmarks, too!

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Gunnerdog>
posted
One time while prairie dog hunting, we broke out our .22 pistols and started plinking. There was a 5-gallon bucket 425 yards away, and we started shooting at it. Oddly enough, given enough holdover, we could hit it more often than I would have thought. Of course, if it had been a critter, it would have ran off long before we figured out how high to hold [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My personal best is about 125 yds for head removal on a bird, but about 2 weeks ago I nailed a 'coon on the run with iron sights and CB shorts at about 80 yds. I hear that P. Dogs are not safe out to 300 yds during the annual VHA get together...have to do that some day.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crap!

Time to bust out the ol' model 61.

I've hit a milk jug at 300 yards with it once and I thought I was doing something!

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote