THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FUN SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Fun Shooting    Tannerite?? Any body know what happened to Daniel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tannerite?? Any body know what happened to Daniel?
 Login/Join

posted
I used to get targets form Daniel Tanner, and now it seems he's dissappeared... Anybody know the story?

Thanks,
Joe

Posts: 18 | Location: Mount Joy, PA, USA | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I found him.... his web server is down. If you haven't tried Tannerite Targets, you need to!!!

-Joe

Posts: 18 | Location: Mount Joy, PA, USA | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He responded to his FAX while his e-mail was down last time. I do't have the numbers with me, but could get them to you over the weekend.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
if you get the chance I highly suggest playing with tannerite... its fun (too bad there isnt a place around me to use it [Frown] )
 -

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eshell:
He responded to his FAX while his e-mail was down last time. I do't have the numbers with me, but could get them to you over the weekend.

Sorry, forgot, here it is:

Daniel Tanner
Skylight High Explosives Corporation
38366 Valley Road
Pleasant Hill, OR 97455

541-744-1406
541-744-1384 FAX

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is this Tannerite?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norseman:
What is this Tannerite?

Explosive targets, made from a proprietary "binary explosive". They are sensitive to the impact of a centerfire rifle, but otherwise very unlikely to detonate. Fire or shock will not set it off.

They are sold for approximately $100 for 20 each 8 ounce targets. There is a whitish powder that is activated upon mixing in the oxidizer. During shipping and storage, the two ingredients are kept separate and the whole thing is inert. This is why it can be purchased by consumers.

Once mixed, it must be used on the spot, and cannot be transported or stored, so an explosives license isn't needed.

In practice, you dump the white powder into a third container, add the catalyst, mix very thoroughly and return it to it's original 8 ounce plastic bottle to be shot from at least 100 yards, according to directions.

Very impressive when they go off. More adventurous type have been know to mix more than the 8 ounce size it comes in. [Big Grin]

Skylight also makes a similar preparation called "nitro-sticks", that can be used for informal blasting, like getting rid of that infernal stump, etc.. It is mixed exactly like the target material, but the catalyst is paste rather than powder. The instruction video that came with it demonstrated it's use to remove a rock with a shaped charge. [Cool] Again, it must be used on the spot, no transport or storage allowed without your explosives license.

one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
tannerite is two powders that you can get by mailorder.

seperate they are safe non regulated.

mix them and they become a stable high explosive....

now for the fun part.

as a high explosive you need a licence to transport or to store them. now most people dont have that so what can you do... dispose of it.

the best way to do this is to shoot it with a high velocity rifle round (I forget the fps needed for detonation) and make it go boom.

its legal. its safe (as long as you follow the saftey rules) its stable (you can smack it with a hammer and even shoot pistol rounds through it but until it gets hit with something going fast it wont go off.) and its fun.. a little bottle (8-10oz?) makes the smoke cloud you see in the above pic. (notice the size compared to the bowling pins.)

great fun to stick one out real far and plink it with a rifle... you KNOW when you hit it. [Big Grin]

[ 10-15-2003, 23:56: Message edited by: Unstable ]

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in grade school, one of th eother kids pilfered potassium from the chemistry classroom and would set it off by putting a small pile of it on the ground, covering with a small rock and then standing on the rock and kicking one foot with the other. This would ignite it with a kind of matchbox striker effect. The more potassium, the louder the boom. Couldn't this same technoogy be used to create some kind of target that would detonate in the same way? I see two steel plates with a packet of potassium sandwiched between that would fire when shot by a high-velocity rifle round. Any further ideas?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rootbeer,
There's a guy that sells powdered aluminum and perchlorate at gun shows that (jealously) claims his stuff, when mixed, is nearly the same as Tannerite. He is pissed at Dan for trying to patent something he thinks is the same thing.

I don't think that's true, since what I've read would lead me to believe that his recommended concoction would be dangerously sensitive to shock and might detonate prematurely. This is one of the best parts about Tannerite, that it is so difficult to detonate it is much safer to handle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
their site is back online now, if you'd like a first hand look:

Tannerite.Com

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
85% NH4NO3
15% NH4ClO4

90% Al powder
5% ZrOH powder
5% Ti powder

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mixed 12 bottles in a gallon milk jug.

VERY loud! It was great. [Big Grin]

Posts: 146 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ilikelegs:

[Cool]
I reckon it was. It's a wonder you didn't get return artillery fire. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eshell:
quote:
Originally posted by ilikelegs:

[Cool]
I reckon it was. It's a wonder you didn't get return artillery fire. [Big Grin]

It may take me a while but we have it on video somewhere.

I will try and find it and post the link to it.

Posts: 146 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote