Find
Notify
Tools

.22 AR15's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted
Has anyone else discovered the significant fun factor of shooting the AR based rimfires?
I picked up a S&W M&P 15-22 a couple of weeks ago and it's the funnest gun I own. It's great for the kids as it'll fit the younger shooters by dropping the collapsible stock to it's shortest length. And at less than $35 for 1,100 rounds you can shoot all weekend for very little. If you're looking for something high on the fun list and great for the whole family, give one a try!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've been looking at the S&W. I like the collapsible stock, I can take the grand kids shooting with me.

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two of these, one for me and one for my oldest boy. A great little shooter, I put a Leupold AR 1-4x20 scope on each and its super-lite. BTW, S&W Recommends CCI Mini-Mags ammo for it. I have also used the CCI subsonics for squirrels

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
Mine eats Federal 550 bulk pack from Wal-Mart like a fat kid eats twinkies! It cycles flawlessly, is decently accurate, and I can get 1,100 rounds for less than $35.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Walmart pulled all its guns and nearly all ammo from its stores in my area.

quote:
Originally posted by Rather-B-Huntin:
Mine eats Federal 550 bulk pack from Wal-Mart like a fat kid eats twinkies! It cycles flawlessly, is decently accurate, and I can get 1,100 rounds for less than $35.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I have not bought one yet, but at the SCI show I compared the S&W with the Ruger and for me it will be the Smith hands down. Thanks for the good reports. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
not to rain on the parade... but why is it better than a 10-22 at 1/2 the price?

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've also bought two of the S&W M&P 15-22's but have not shot them yet. Our youngest son is bringing 10 college room mates and coeds down next weekend, so I'm sure they'll get a good work out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Granted the Ruger offering is not an AR15, but for the money that 10/22 based action is one tough unit and been around for decades. I especially like the price advantage as well. I handled the other 15 22 clones and sure they are fine, but for a plinker w/ some extras believe I will go with Ruger. (Fact that I have several Ruger's has nothing to do with my preferences)

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Price advantage? The Smith is cheaper around here than the Ruger SR-22.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got both of my S&W for less than $475

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
The Smith was what I had intended to buy, when along came a GSG-5 Carbine that I could not pass up. Like the Smith, or any of the AR style .22s it is great fun, and mine is also reliable and accurate.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you like it, but its an ugly looking gun, reminds me of the Remington version.

quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
The Smith was what I had intended to buy, when along came a GSG-5 Carbine that I could not pass up. Like the Smith, or any of the AR style .22s it is great fun, and mine is also reliable and accurate.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We shot the S&W's and they are great little guns! All of the college kids loved having their pictures taken with the "assault" rifles. Big Grin